Office X demo crashing on startup

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can't get any of the programs to open-the splash screen appears,then the program quits.I looked this up on the Mactopia site,and apparently this is caused by damaged fonts,so I removed all the damaged fonts from my system,and still have the same problem.It mentions as a sideline that this can also be caused by incompatible fonts,does anyone know what types of fonts are incompatible with office?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    What about fonts in your Mac OS 9 System Folder? Office checks there too, IIRC.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks,I checked that as well.I got Office going on my other machine,though,so the problem is sort of solved.The thing is,I can't believe Microsoft would write a program with such poor exception handling that it would choke on fonts during startup.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This happened to me, and I went on a search and destroy mission for preferences files, and it fixed it.

They're in your home -> library -> preferences directory. There's also some in home -> library -> preferences -> microsoft.

Junk 'em all. When you re-load the app, it'll set them all back up, so you're not getting rid of anything important (I don't think).

Many of the prefs files start with com.microsoft....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks a lot I'll try that.