Cant wait for MacBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, I am already one day into school, needing a windows system, owning a PPC mac, and ready to buy a macbook, they were updated in November, and I dont wand a tablet or ultra portable so am I really at risk of a new rev of any signifigance? the current rev has the x3000 and core2 2.2, so it seems like there isn't much room to bump it...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

OK, I am already one day into school, needing a windows system, owning a PPC mac, and ready to buy a macbook, they were updated in November, and I dont wand a tablet or ultra portable so am I really at risk of a new rev of any signifigance? the current rev has the x3000 and core2 2.2, so it seems like there isn't much room to bump it...

A Macbook is probably a pretty safe bet. If possible, see if you can score a refurb from the Apple store. That's how I've bought my last 3 Apple portables and they've all been exceptional machines (700 MHz G3 iBook 12", 1.33 GHz Powerbook 12" and Black 1st gen Macbook). The graphics in the current ones is superior to the GMA 950 graphics in mine as well (still integrated, but better).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's never a good idea to buy any apple product this close to macworld. I've been waiting for a few weeks myself to get a macbook. You never know what they might do and its only a week away.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Just wait a week. It won't kill you and it'll save you from making any regrettable decisions, because at this point, no one really knows.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Just wait a week. It won't kill you and it'll save you from making any regrettable decisions, because at this point, no one really knows.

While this is sound advice, I'd be surprised to see the Macbook upgraded significantly.

The one key thing you'll be dealing with regarding a new product would be the shipping times and any Rev. A issues that may crop up. The Current Macbook is a solid product.

That said, It doesn't hurt to wait a week and buy a Macbook proudly as the people here proclaim this as the "most unimpressive Macworld ever!" and "Apple is DOOMED".
  • Reply 5 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    OK, I think I have my plan, buy a macbook now, because I really cant wait, I have stuff that needs to be done, and get a MacBook Pro after MWSF 09 and sell my macbook then...that should work...I hope
  • Reply 6 of 9
    At least wait until MWSF. Intel just announced the new 45nm chips, and they're already shipping in the new Mac Pros. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we at least find new chips in the laptops, and possibly other little improvements as well.

As others said, it won't kill you to wait a week. If something new comes out, you'll have the latest and greatest, and if nothing happens, you're no worse off.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

At least wait until MWSF. Intel just announced the new 45nm chips, and they're already shipping in the new Mac Pros. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we at least find new chips in the laptops, and possibly other little improvements as well.

As others said, it won't kill you to wait a week. If something new comes out, you'll have the latest and greatest, and if nothing happens, you're no worse off.

Although Intel just did announce the 45nm Penryn chips, the fact that the Mac Pros are already shipping with them doesn't really mean much here considering that, I believe, the Penryns used in them have been ready for a while.

Also even if Apple does release a new Penryn based laptop, it will be unlikely that they put it in the MacBook. If anything it will go in a refreshed MacBook Pro. Think MacBook Pro -> Santa Rosa prior to MacBook -> Santa Rosa.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

OK, I think I have my plan, buy a macbook now, because I really cant wait, I have stuff that needs to be done, and get a MacBook Pro after MWSF 09 and sell my macbook then...that should work...I hope

It will do more than work. Looking at the history of the platforms - processors of the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and knowing Intel's platform - processor road map, we can guesstimate the future.

• MacBook Pro: Napa - Yonah (65nm, 32-bit) - January

• MacBook: Napa - Yonah (65nm, 32-bit) - May

• MacBook Pro: Napa - Merom (65nm, 64-bit) - October

• MacBook: Napa - Merom (65nm, 64-bit) - November

• MacBook: Napa - Merom (65nm) - May

• MacBook Pro: Santa Rosa - Merom (65nm) - June

• MacBook: Santa Rosa - Merom (65nm) - November

• MacBook Pro: Santa Rosa - Penryn (45nm) - January

• MacBook Ultra: Santa Rosa - Penryn (45nm) - January

• MacBook: Santa Rosa - Penryn (45nm) - May

• MacBook Pro: Montevina - Penryn (45nm) - July/August

• MacBook Ultra: Montevina - Penryn (45nm) - July/August

• MacBook: Montevina - Penryn (45nm) - November

• MacBook Pro: Montevina - Nehalem (45nm) - February/March

• MacBook Ultra: Montevina - Nehalem (45nm) - February/March

• MacBook: Montevina - Nehalem (45nm) - May 2008

I stayed with the May/November time line for the MacBook updates because they are based on available technology, unlike the MacBook Pro, which had to wait for the new processors to become available.
  • Reply 9 of 9

A Macbook is probably a pretty safe bet. If possible, see if you can score a refurb from the Apple store. That's how I've bought my last 3 Apple portables and they've all been exceptional machines (700 MHz G3 iBook 12", 1.33 GHz Powerbook 12" and Black 1st gen Macbook). The graphics in the current ones is superior to the GMA 950 graphics in mine as well (still integrated, but better).