Probably NOT worth it but, possible to UPGRADE MBpro Motherboard?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you had a 2.2, I wonder how much it would cost to upgrade to a 2.5 newer CPU/Motherboard (for the part) as if you are techical enough, or know a mac genius, how much it would cost?

The MBP is only 5 months old and never runs out of power for LOGIC and upgrading to a 7200RPM hard drive would be a boost. Still, I know some PROS that are still doing FOLEY full time on an old powerbook G4.

The 2.2 has to be worth at least $1500 and I doubt the 2.5 with new GPU or rather 256 will come in at $1999, if it does, than most 2.2's won't be worth more than $1500 at all.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    adjei7adjei7 Posts: 32member
    Possible, but I wouldn't say it's worth it. You wouldn't want any old joe stripping you macpro, and It would cost too much to do professionally. It would probably be cheaper and less hassle to get a new one I think.

Also, 2.2 isn't that bad. I doubt you would get that much of a boost in performance to warrant all the risk of upgrading. Just cram it full of ram, and get that upgrade to a 7200rpm like you said, and it should run quite happily.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Could put yours up for sale, probably get most of your money back. That system is still under warranty, would be not wise to tear into that yourself. The HD upgrade has to be done by a Applecare service tech. Wouldn't void warranty and could still put Applecare on it, which I always recommend.