The Definitive Matrix of Macworld ?08 Predictions and Rumors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Definitive Matrix of Macworld ?08 Predictions and Rumors

by Aayush Arya

Jan 10, 2008

After Chris, I guess it is now my turn to stick out my neck and throw out a list of Macworld ?08 predictions. Be aware that what you?re now going to read is a carefully researched article which takes into account various statistics from past keynotes and seeks to identify recurring patterns between them so as to accurately predict what lies ahead. It is methodical and scientific, makes no wayward assumptions and is, therefore, citable in all courts of law as proven fact. Warning: Spoilers abound!

So, without further ado, I present to you my simple 4x4 matrix of what I think lies ahead and the descriptions for each square. You might be reading this and mulling over things for quite a while so it might be a good idea to cancel all appointments scheduled for later today and grab yourself a cup of coffee (or whatever floats your boat, really). Presenting the article that will put an end to all the suspense associated with the Macworld Expo next week (last chance to back out is now):

Mark my words, you?re going to see these happen.

New MacBooks
: It?s a given. Steve Jobs is going to launch completely revamped new MacBooks at this Expo. The current MacBooks stick like sore thumbs in Apple?s line-up, with their scratch and crack prone fiber enclosures and combo drives from the ancient era. The new ones will be clad in anodized aluminum (the same metal that almost all the products in current line-up are made out of) and will have some black highlights. The screen size will remain the same, a SuperDrive will become standard across all models and it will feature a minor bump in some of the hardware components. It will, of course, look absolutely stunning and the starting price will remain the same. Steve Jobs will unveil a new advertisement or two. Read more...

[Via Apple Matters]

Very funny article about the predictions for Macworld. A quote: "The only reason the iPod has games is that Fred Anderson inked a deal with Electronic Arts and paid them the money behind Steve Jobs? back. You now know why the poor guy got involved in all that stocks backdating mess. Suffice it to say that it was no coincidence!" LOL! Must read.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tx65tx65 Posts: 31member
    Cool Matrix

I believe the new Apple TV is higher in the probability ranking since it builds off the announcement of rentals and blue ray and Apple TV needs a rebirth.

I think upgrades on the Mac Book Pro line are a definite, but will be very much like the Mac Pro and X Serve announcements,, new processors and blue ray added for good measure and will be considering existing product enhancements,,, not major topics of the keynote.

a super slim mac book and an ultra mobile I think will be the major portable announcements.

The docking station system is definitely a needed item,,, while the patent was just recently published, it having been filed 1.5 years ago might mean it would be another announcement next week.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Ummm.....dunno if I agree totally with that prediction picture. I believe they might do like last year at this time and debut the follow up to the iphone....the iphone2. But it won't be available till June. And until then they might do a slight upgrade to the iphone1 with more memory or something.

And of course there is the SDK to go along with it.......and hopefully my mactouch.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Not saying I disagree with any of that, but...

Basing the probability of something happening on how much you *want* it to happen is a sure way to be disappointed.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    If Apple has sense iPhones will be announced in June to ship in December in future. Or possibly a month earlier than that. Then iPods in September for September and Macs in January/whenever they feel like it. WWDC for instance.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I think if Apple announces the second version of the iPhone a few months earlier than the actual sales date, they'll kill the sales of the current unit on the market. It would be a pretty dumb move, IMHO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TX65

a super slim mac book and an ultra mobile

If they make the MacBook any slimmer, it will become an "ultra mobile" itself.

I agree with you on the Apple TV thing though. I'm pretty sure the author is wrong about it and that we're going to see a new one at this Expo.

Quote:

I think upgrades on the Mac Book Pro line are a definite, but will be very much like the Mac Pro and X Serve announcements,, new processors and blue ray added for good measure and will be considering existing product enhancements,,, not major topics of the keynote.

If the MacBook Pro gets updated at all, it will be a major overhaul.

Quote:

The docking station system is definitely a needed item

You actually like the docking station thing? I hate the whole idea. I'm with Aayush Arya on this one, "This is the most ridiculous patent application I’ve ever laid my eyes on. I come home from a trip around the world and instead of connecting my notebook to a display, I insert it into a honking huge one that has a slot for the notebook on its side. Just goes to show that people will believe anything you feed them as long as it gives them some fodder to speculate over and pass the time."