My initial iPhone review: (typed in Notes app)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If I was going to write an iPhone review it made sense to type it out on the actual device, so I did.

First things first, the Notes icon should have a small number somewhere on it to tell the user how many notes are in there. I wouldn't say it needs a badge nescssarily, but it needs a number of sorts. Something subtle yet useful.

Worst app by far is the YouTube app. Reason being it has such potential that isn't being taken advantage of. The list of things it doesn't have but could and should is an embarassment to Apple in my opinion. You can't log in? I'm sorry but what in the he'll is up with that? Stupid, stupid, stupid stupid. No excuses. You cannot read comments.. or even comment yourself? That's just crazy! The cheery on top is the fact that you can't even rate the bloody videos. The YouTube app sucks. The saddest part is how great the UI is. Come on Apple! You're holding the iPhone back here.

If there's a handy shortcut for "periods", there should be one for commas. If you double tap spacebar for 'period + space' double tapping the ".?123" key should perform the same action for commas.

The reason this review may seem negative at this point is twofold. All or most of the advantages of the phone are already public knowledge. And I want to try to help point out (and help get fixed) its obvious (software-fixable) flaws. Definitely don't get me wrong, the iPhone is fucking amazing! And its user-interface is a total revolution. The Mac Touch tablet is without a shadow of a doubt coming down the pike. Steve, if you're there.. 10 or 11 inch 16:10 display, aluminium, and nifty push-in-to-pop-out rest on rear please?

There's more. Every single app, well most anyway, need a landscape option. And when the keyboard is on, rotation should still be possible. In general though typing on the keyboard is not only not just a non-issue, but I have a feeling I will become quite fast on it given about two weeks practice. And I'm already even pecking away quite nippily. It's both about how accurate you are and allowing yourself to trust the keyboard that makes one really fly on it.

Funnest game is iPhysics. It shows off the iPhone's potential, it's quite addictive. "Books" ebook reader is also incredible. Probably faster than reading a regular book. You tap the bottom of the screen and it shoots down to the next section of text. It's incredibly efficient. Toolbars are auto-hidable etc. White on black, black on white, and font type and size are all customizeble too, nice. Portable computers need touch screens, it becomes obvious after using the iPhone, after even only a few days.

Laptops / notebooks as we know them are officially dead as far as I'm concerned. When Apple brings out their Mac Touch tablet the industry will get a swift kick up the ass. The other companies are so busy trying to emulate Apple they forgot to try to innovate.. "think diff.... acutally I won't go there. How about "think for yourself"?

Another thing I've noticed is that the "Contacts" app that comes with the appsnapp jailbreak is simlpy unnessasary, and I can see now why Apple didn't add it. I aslo don't ever find myself wanting for a 'global' search app. Tapping 'home' and the app you are going to is as easy as finding the search app in the first place. Although, "search" within certain apps (like Mail) could be useful down the road.

If one has 4 notes in the 'Notes' app when viewing note number 1 (without the keyboard present) there should be a small "1/4" down on the bottom right beside the 'next note' arrow to provide some more info, it's kind of needed I feel. This would at least let they user instantly know what number note they were looking at, and how many notes are to the right and left of the current one.

A big, amazing, "HUGE" oversight is the minuscule onscreen visual you get when the battery is fully charged. Yes I am aware of the big green battery which appears on screen and fills up when charging (and awake) but I mean when the battery is fully fully charged. Currently the only indication that it's at maximum is the practically invisible plug symbol up on the "tiny" battery on the top right. Now that's just stupid, and makes we wonder what the heck they were thinking. They weren't thinking. I want a "big" sign letting me know when it's charged. Bold font accross the battery (the big one) reading "fully charged" would be perfect.

All in all a stunningly beautiful and "truly revolutionary" handheld device (it's not just a phone) with a few very noticable but very fixable oversights.

I have to admit it, it's hard not to love the iPhone once you have really used it.

Now excuse me while I go touch the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Congrats on getting an iPhone, Ireland. Rather than comment about your review I want to give some suggestions so you can really enjoy the iPhone. Although you might already know about them, I hope you won’t mind if I at least try to be helpful. It might also save you time for discovering some things on your own, before updating your initial iPhone review.

First, asap, go into your Settings and select Brightness. To each their own, but for each of the 29 people that have purchased an iPhone after seeing mine we’ve turned the Auto Brightness off then set the Brightness level down to roughly where the letter “h” or “t” is in the word Brightness, which is under the sliding orb. Within a day after doing so you’ll likely agree that the new Brightness is great and there’s no need for the much higher setting it starts at. Besides, doing this can give you much longer battery life – as not so much power is going to the screen.

Second, also in Settings - General, try to resist turning Auto Lock to Never. That’s something that most people seem to do, thinking they don’t want the iPhone to turn itself off. The setting doesn’t really turn it off, it just deactivates the screen. Again, to each their own, but most that I know turn Auto Lock to 3 minutes and change it depending on the situation. The timer goes from the last touch on the screen, so three minutes is usually enough for quickly checking a map, contact, making a call, etc..

When the time is almost up to Auto Lock, the screen dims. To reset the timer just tap any portion of the screen. Although 3 minutes is a general amount of time, when I’m done using the iPhone I usually press the top button, which immediately turns it off. Rather than wait the next two minutes, it further improves the battery life. While off the iPhone can alert you to an incoming call, etc.. It only turns off, as in really off, when you tell it to.

Third and last – so not to make a very long list, it might be a good idea to set a new Favorite contact for iPhone, AT&T, or another appropriate name. Under this contact make at least three reach numbers, including one listing for *646#, *225#, and *729. Pressing each will cause the iPhone to immediately send a text message to AT&T, which will respond with a text message showing your bill balance and date, remaining minutes and Roll Over, with the last one to pay the bill over the phone. Since you can rearrange the order that your Favorites are listed, you can place the three iPhone related numbers at the very bottom of the list. Very simple and easy to do.

Again, Ireland, congrats for getting an iPhone and trying it out. Although there’s room for improvement (as with all software and high tech devices, no exceptions), two weeks from now, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it even more. Ahem, after next week’s MacWorld – I think all of us will, hehe.

• Reply 2 of 17
    P.S.

Without going over the entire review, I agree with Apple improving it so each app has a landscape option. As for the keyboard, such as using Safari, if you press Done or Cancel then rotate the iPhone, then bring up the keyboard, it adjusts to the new setting, vertical or landscape. It just doesn't have a landscape mode for each app.

There's more but I want to give others a chance to comment on your initial review of the iPhone. Thanks for posting your review, btw.

As I've told others, which you might agree with in the next two weeks :

"The iPhone might be expensive for a cell phone, but it's cheap for a laptop." Once you spend about two weeks actually using one, it's close enough.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kephisto View Post

Without going over the entire review, I agree with Apple improving it so each app has a landscape option. As for the keyboard, such as using Safari, if you press Done or Cancel then rotate the iPhone, then bring up the keyboard, it adjusts to the new setting, vertical or landscape.

Yeah I know about that, they should enable rotation with keyboard open though, or at least provide that as an option in Settings > General > Keyboard
  • Reply 4 of 17
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Good review. Several things you mentioned are needed.

The Comma - A short cut would be nice.

Notes should have smart folders. Also be able to add links in notes to contacts. Also an extra button on the bottom that allow you to scroll the titles of each note, so you can rapidly go to that note.

You did not mention Mail but you will after using it for awhile. 200 messages is not enough. I would also like a section for saved emails that won't be written over. This is also where the search, cut and paste is required.

Congrats one getting one. I am also looking for some improvements on Tuesday.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

First, asap, go into your Settings and select Brightness. To each their own, but for each of the 29 people that have purchased an iPhone after seeing mine we’ve turned the Auto Brightness off then set the Brightness level down to roughly where the letter “h” or “t” is in the word Brightness, which is under the sliding orb. Within a day after doing so you’ll likely agree that the new Brightness is great and there’s no need for the much higher setting it starts at. Besides, doing this can give you much longer battery life – as not so much power is going to the screen.

Yeah I had that stuff setup already like that.

Quote:

Second, also in Settings - General, try to resist turning Auto Lock to Never. That’s something that most people seem to do, thinking they don’t want the iPhone to turn itself off. The setting doesn’t really turn it off, it just deactivates the screen. Again, to each their own, but most that I know turn Auto Lock to 3 minutes and change it depending on the situation. The timer goes from the last touch on the screen, so three minutes is usually enough for quickly checking a map, contact, making a call, etc..

When the time is almost up to Auto Lock, the screen dims. To reset the timer just tap any portion of the screen. Although 3 minutes is a general amount of time, when I’m done using the iPhone I usually press the top button, which immediately turns it off. Rather than wait the next two minutes, it further improves the battery life. While off the iPhone can alert you to an incoming call, etc.. It only turns off, as in really off, when you tell it to.

Same again.

Quote:

Third and last – so not to make a very long list, it might be a good idea to set a new Favorite contact for iPhone, AT&T, or another appropriate name. Under this contact make at least three reach numbers, including one listing for *646#, *225#, and *729. Pressing each will cause the iPhone to immediately send a text message to AT&T, which will respond with a text message showing your bill balance and date, remaining minutes and Roll Over, with the last one to pay the bill over the phone. Since you can rearrange the order that your Favorites are listed, you can place the three iPhone related numbers at the very bottom of the list. Very simple and easy to do.

AT&T? Who are they? They don't call me Ireland for nothing you know

Thanks anyway though
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

Good review. Several things you mentioned are needed.

The Comma - A short cut would be nice.

Notes should have smart folders. Also be able to add links in notes to contacts. Also an extra button on the bottom that allow you to scroll the titles of each note, so you can rapidly go to that note.

You did not mention Mail but you will after using it for awhile. 200 messages is not enough. I would also like a section for saved emails that won't be written over. This is also where the search, cut and paste is required.

Congrats one getting one. I am also looking for some improvements on Tuesday.

Cut and Paste is coming soon, so a little birdie tells me
  • Reply 7 of 17
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    There is a semi-shortcut to commas, question-marks and the like.

Press and hold the symbol button.

(the symbol keys appear)

Then without releasing, slide your finger over to the comma. Then release

(the Alpha keys re-appear)

Apologies if you all-ready knew this.

C.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

There is a semi-shortcut to commas, question-marks and the like.

Press and hold the symbol button.

(the symbol keys appear)

Then without releasing, slide your finger over to the comma. Then release

(the Alpha keys re-appear)

Apologies if you all-ready knew this.

C.

Yeah knew that, you didn't need to apologize though
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

P.S.

"The iPhone might be expensive for a cell phone, but it's cheap for a laptop." Once you spend about two weeks actually using one, it's close enough.

Kephisto, you're absolutely right. I just travelled in another country for ten days with only my iPhone. Utterly brilliant.

Sure there are a bunch of things that could be improved, but right now, as of this moment, there is no other machine that I would rather use instead.

I think the new ultraportable Apple laptop's biggest competitor is likely to be the iPhone - but that probably won't stop me getting one!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Nice review Ireland....I'm going to hang on 'till tomorrow [ just in case there's any news from the keynote ] and then I'm getting one regardless. I'll keep you posted.....
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

. . .

Thanks anyway though

No problem, Ireland. I’m sure after using it for two weeks you’ll like it even more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Kephisto, you're absolutely right. I just travelled in another country for ten days with only my iPhone. Utterly brilliant. . . .

Just like you, Tailpipe, the iPhone’s my first choice for using any mobile device. I’m so impressed that I might buy my first Apple computer, which might be the iMac, MacBook/Pro, or even the new ultraportable.

I’m looking forward to Tuesday’s MacWorld 2008 Keynote. Depending on what Steve says, there might be enough new improvements coming to the current iPhone that I can wait a bit longer before getting an Apple computer. Either way, between March and April, I plan to switch over completely to the Mac and kick Microsoft Windows and Office to the trash.

While there may be other smartphones that compare to the iPhone there’s one major advantage those other cell phones don’t have – and that’s Apple. By using an iPhone I know that I’m spending money on a very reliable and innovative company which stands behind their products and continually improves them. Once iTunes releases new upgrades or services, such as the upcoming movie rentals, I know that my iPhone will work with it - either immediately or asap.

It seems Apple makes their products fun and easy to use, which is light years ahead of other companies, who say "use our software because you have to, because most people have it, so we don't care how awkward or ugly or boring it is to use." The iPhone is fun and easy to use. You can't say that about too many cell phones.

P.S.

Most people that I talk to only use one or two features on their cell phones because the other features aren't worth the effort. Like a car, most things should just work - turn on the radio, play a CD, raise the temperature, etc.. Most cell phones take multiple steps to do almost anything.

Ask some of your friends if they use their cell phone's calendar, calculator, or adding/editing new contacts, setting up a new voicemail greeting, or even if they enjoy reviewing their voicemail, and you might be surprised that most don't. It's not that they can't learn how - it's mostly on their cell phone it's just not worth the effort.

On the other hand, using an iPhone, it's not only easy - it's fun.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Well, Tailpipe, while the MacBook Air is impressive it looks like my first Apple computer will be an iMac or a MacBook/Pro. Tailpipe and Ireland, have you tried the new iPhone software upgrade yet? Gartcork, did you buy an iPhone?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Well, Tailpipe, while the MacBook Air is impressive it looks like my first Apple computer will be an iMac or a MacBook/Pro. Tailpipe and Ireland, have you tried the new iPhone software upgrade yet? Gartcork, did you buy an iPhone?

Have I tired updating the software? Good one.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Have I tired updating the software? Good one.

That was a silly question, wasn't it? Gartcork, did you buy an iPhone?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Gartcork, did you buy an iPhone?

Just bought one ( Unlocked ready to go...) Hopefully it'll be here within two weeks!

I can't wait.....
  • Reply 16 of 17
    It's here....finally!! Jailbroken 1.1.2 but I can't seem to get the sim patch to work...keeps coming up as invalid sim. Everything works perfect except for the phone.... At the moment my iPhone is an iPod touch!

Help!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gartcork View Post

It's here....finally!! Jailbroken 1.1.2 but I can't seem to get the sim patch to work...keeps coming up as invalid sim. Everything works perfect except for the phone.... At the moment my iPhone is an iPod touch!

Help!!!!

I hope things get resolved for you, gartcork. I would help if I could.