Busted Software Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anybody else have a busted Software Update?

It says "Your software is up to date" on the first run, and if I run it again before the SWUpdateEngine process disappears from top it says "Error occurred while checking for updates."

I suspect it's because I muck around in the command line so much and change so much stuff under the hood because this happened on my older machine too. A reinstall over my existing install didn't help. I trashed my user preferences for it, but this happens with every user, so either the software is busted or there are global preferences somewhere...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I remember in one of those Apple e-mails that they're ware of problems with Software Update. I thought the problem was that it wasn't apparently checking for updates daily like I set it to do (why not with cable!).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Hmm. Since there s absolutely no need to run Software update again and again immediatly atter itself, I would suggest STOP DOING IT. It gains you nothing to run the thing so often.

Maybe suggest this to Apple and 10.1.3 will include it as a small bug fix.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    cdhostage, that is only part of the problem. Software Update itself does not see the updates on the first run. I know there is an update out there for European Epson Printer Drivers. It was in Software Update before. It should still be there.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    My SWupdate NEVER works on my Beige G3(upgaded to a G4/500). I thought it might have something to do w/the upgrade.

It always say my SW is up to date. Anyone else?