Sharing External HD (without airport extreme)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all. I just got married and my wife and I have been converting our entire CD library to iTunes on an external HD. The problem is that neither of us is terribly network savvy, so we're having trouble sharing that HD. Since we're pooling our music, neither wants to have it cut off from our computers.

I saw that the Airport extreme has a nice little USB port that we could plug it into, but we already have wireless internet from our ISP, so we would rather not have to buy any more hardware if possible. That, and the Airport extreme is a little over $200.00 in Japan.

Either a setup where the HD is plugged into my laptop and it shares to the network, or the HD in a separate location where it shares to both of ours. If there is a way to do that, or some better way that we don't know about, could someone let us know?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Oh yeah, and if this should be in a different forum, please let me know. I wasn't sure where to put it so I dropped it in "General Discussion"
  • Reply 2 of 7
    You need a NAS enclosure for your HD.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You need a NAS enclosure for your HD.

So with that, I can just plug it into the router and be set, right?

Any reccomendations for a NAS enclosure? I would like to upgrade my current HD and a get a dual-drive RAID 1 (not sure if there are any enclosures that do that though)

I also found some USB stations that you can plug the drive into.

I'm pretty lost here so if you all have recommendations, let me know.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord View Post

So with that, I can just plug it into the router and be set, right?

Right. [Edit]Well you'll have to configure it as well, but it'll have a web interface just like a router does, and the manual will step you through the process.[/edit]

Quote:

Any reccomendations for a NAS enclosure?

Nope

Quote:

I would like to upgrade my current HD and a get a dual-drive RAID 1 (not sure if there are any enclosures that do that though)

There should be though they will be much more expensive.

Quote:

I also found some USB stations that you can plug the drive into.

That's another solution.

Quote:

I'm pretty lost here so if you all have recommendations, let me know.

I'll let others give recommendations, I think...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I know you want to avoid buying an AEBS but they really are very handy, and allow you also to share printers (via a USB hub). Just a thought...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Yeah, I think I'm going to see if I can get my ISP to take back the wireless modem and swap it for a regular one. Then I pay less per month, can get the Airport Base Station, and be all set and happy :-)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord View Post

Yeah, I think I'm going to see if I can get my ISP to take back the wireless modem and swap it for a regular one. Then I pay less per month, can get the Airport Base Station, and be all set and happy :-)

That's probably a good idea, even if you don't get an ABS, since third-party wireless N routers go for about $30 nowadays. How many months is that?