iWeb ideas

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been working with iWeb and it really is a great program. It can go way beyond the simple templates that are included. I know people have been talking about maybe Apple doing a pro version of iWeb but after really using iWeb, I don't think it is needed. I think with some slight modifications iWeb would be good enough for most websites. Apple could even stretch it beyond the current status quo of web dev tools.

Some of the small changes are these: the ability to add and edit iframes directly without resorting to HTML snippets would be huge. Also Apple should add a transparent option to the browser background. Also adding a straight-forward css editor would be cool.

One can get around iWeb by hacking and post-processing code but it should be easy for Apple to update iWeb to include these elements elegantly. But Apple should not stop there. They could really rock the web dev status quo.

I think they should add easy forum and store abilities. Most people think these things are way too complex for the target users of iWeb but I disagree. The way these features are created and implemented now with other programs is too complex, but it doesn't have to be that way. I think Apple can find a simple but powerful solution.

Take forums first. Just about every forum does the same thing. They all look pretty much the same too. Apple could do one forum that fits most all sites needs. We are not talking about forums for the top 1% megasites but forums for the rest of us. Apple could host these on .Mac and the database side would be easy for them and painless for the user.

In fact, it could be almost transparent to the iWeb user. They wouldn't have to know or setup databases, know SQL, php or anything. They just insert a forum, set up categories, select color options, and it works.

The biggest job would be moderating forums and Apple could create a slick back end for this instead of the hacks currently available. I see the forum send email to the admin for each new entry and the admin would respond by accepting, rejecting, or editing the post. The other option would be a slick web back end utility.

This also allows Apple to join into the social networking side of things. It is one thing to post a page at facebook or myspace, but those sites don't allow that much interaction. iWeb templates with forums would allow much better interaction.

Realize most website only do a few basic things. They display text, photos, video, ads, links/menus, forums, and stores. iWeb already does many of these. Add forums and that leaves just one thing left - a store.

Now most people think stores are way more complex than forums and this is true. But like forums, just about all stores do the same functions and look very similar. Apple could step in and make adding a store an easy process. Hear this out before you dismiss this idea.

There are many people who would like to sell things online and don't have more than a hundred products. Some resort to ebay but that emphasizes ebay rather than the seller. Apple could make a better store that works for them. Merchants could make a much better presentation with a full website and store developed using iWeb, then add products, enter inventory, and see lists of customers and orders.

All the database stuff, credit card merchant account setup and transactions, and shipping setup and scheduling could be handled through .Mac. People pay Apple a .Mac merchant fee, signs up with the relevant info, and Apple sets up the rest. Apple would just make it all work. It would be huge.

In a way, this is taking the iTunes store idea one step further. This expanded store would then sell a lot of different things, but Apple would not actually stock or ship the stuff. They just handle the digital transactions. This would be providing people solutions, not just parts to self-assemble. This is the Apple way and iWeb could put website creation, management, and commerce into the hands of the common person.

This would make iWeb very unique among web dev tools. People would either bypass traditional web developers and do it themselves, or web developers could develop faster and cheaper. Apple would then jump full steam into the Web 2.0 and could become a dominate player. Ebay and amazon are not great for small merchants. iWeb with store could fill this niche.

So, with the addition of easy forums, Apple could do better social networking then Facebook and Myspace. Also the personal websites would be much better and more custom. Apple could also fill the niche between amazon and ebay.

So I don't see a need for Apple to do the high end website thing. Leave that for Adobe and Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. Apple needs to bring website dev to the masses just like computers brought dtp, email, www, digital photography, music, and video to the common person.

This is what I think they are trying to do with iWeb. But I think they need to enhance it for more serious designers, and then add easy forum and store functionality. If Apple doesn't include this in iWeb, then I hope they do come out with a Pro iWeb app that includes these functions. But I think the forum should be in iWeb. The store I could see in the pro app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hey

question:

1) i want to have a simple custom web page. with simple jpgs for the logo, text area and an area where i just drop photos from iphoto in for placement. etc.

from that i want to create a template so i can use it over again....

so, how can i create a custom "dropzone" for the photos?

2) is it possible to have iweb connect to a regular ISP?

thx
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ironknee View Post

hey

question:

1) i want to have a simple custom web page. with simple jpgs for the logo, text area and an area where i just drop photos from iphoto in for placement. etc.

from that i want to create a template so i can use it over again....

so, how can i create a custom "dropzone" for the photos?

2) is it possible to have iweb connect to a regular ISP?

thx

Can't do much to help you with the template question (I tried researching a while back, and I found it to be more trouble than it was worth). In order to keep things uniform, I often duplicated my pages (especially blog posts and changed from there: right click->duplicate page). Since then I have transferred predominantly to a WordPress blog.

In response to the connecting to a regular ISP directly from iWeb... no you can't. You have to publish your site to a folder than ftp that folder to your ISP/3rd-party website. That's what I do, as I don't like .Mac

It can be kind of a pain getting some of the other features working and/or finding alternatives without .Mac, but they exist. Let me know if you have any other questions, as I'd be willing to help where I can. You can check out my website below if you're interested. Everything's created in iWeb minus my Blog and Mac tips section.