MacPro Eight-Core RAM (DDR2 800MHz)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Seeing as upgrades for the older Mac Pro are easily found (insofar as RAM is concerned) and those for the new Mac Pro are virtually non-existent (outside Apple's nifty little order page)...it seemed a good idea to start a thread where links can be added for any RAM upgrades that come out.

I plan on purchasing a Mac Pro in the near future...I'm simply waiting for RAM to become available on the market so I can upgrade the RAM myself (saving considerably in the process). Happy hunting!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Other World Computing is selling RAM for the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I ordered RAM from Other World Computing last week and never received it.

It is on back order.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Is it not possible to use standard DDR2 800Mhz RAM? Do we have to use specialized RAM for the 8 core MacPro?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by labelexec View Post

Is it not possible to use standard DDR2 800Mhz RAM? Do we have to use specialized RAM for the 8 core MacPro?

Standard RAM DIMMs, like you'd find in a PC, will not work. Mac Pro uses ECC FB-DIMMS, more commonly found in servers. The individual chips are the same... DDR2. However, the DIMMs have an additional RAM chip for the ECC, along with an additional processor that provides buffering. Rather large heat sinks are required, as well. PC-style heat spreaders are not enough to cool these DIMMs.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Let's keep the updates coming...it's nice to have some options when upgrading...

Personally, I'd like to see Mushkin hurry up and release RAM for the new Mac Pro...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I finally received my memory from OWC last week.

I have it installed and it is running well!!!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Received my memory from Mushkin today, Mac Pro doesn't recognize it:

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/...ail.asp?id=646

not good
  • Reply 9 of 19
    They're sending a replacement, support seemed good, fingers crossed..
  • Reply 10 of 19
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My 4GB of extra RAM from OWC will arrive tomorrow.

Which will be about 1-3 weeks before the Mac Pro it's going into arrives -- my video card upgrade added 3-5 to the shipping time.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    Any more recommendations/updates ?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    www.crucial.com

It's worth noting that Barefeats compared the performance of 800MHz and 667MHz RAM in the newer 800MHz Mac Pros. They found that the 667MHz RAM would work just fine in the 800MHz machine (albeit at 667MHz) ? and surprisingly the performance penalty was only 2-4%.

That's pretty impressive considering that the 667MHz memory is about half the price of the 800MHz stuff! You could quite literally stick 16GB of 667MHz into your Mac Pro for the same price as 8GB of 800MHz. And something tells me that that 16GB is more than going to make up for the 4% performance hit!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

www.crucial.com

It's worth noting that Barefeats compared the performance of 800MHz and 667MHz RAM in the newer 800MHz Mac Pros. They found that the 667MHz RAM would work just fine in the 800MHz machine (albeit at 667MHz) ? and surprisingly the performance penalty was only 2-4%.

That's pretty impressive considering that the 667MHz memory is about half the price of the 800MHz stuff! You could quite literally stick 16GB of 667MHz into your Mac Pro for the same price as 8GB of 800MHz. And something tells me that that 16GB is more than going to make up for the 4% performance hit!

I keep seeing people quoting, as you just did, that 800 Mhz is twice as expensive 667 MHz. Were are you getting this information?

OWC older 667MHz ram 16GB Qualified (cheaper than Certified) $617.99

OWC newer 800MHz ram 16GB Qualified (no offering for Certified) $799.00

I don't see double the price or 667MHz being half the price of 800MHz. Difference: $181.01 That's $11.31 more per GB for the 800MHz.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I keep seeing people quoting, as you just did, that 800 Mhz is twice as expensive 667 MHz. Were are you getting this information?

OWC older 667MHz ram 16GB Qualified (cheaper than Certified) $617.99

OWC newer 800MHz ram 16GB Qualified (no offering for Certified) $799.00

I don't see double the price or 667MHz being half the price of 800MHz. Difference: $181.01 That's $11.31 more per GB for the 800MHz.

www.crucial.com/uk
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

www.crucial.com/uk

Using your link at the UK store, I pulled the following information using their choices of either an 8 core or 4 core Mac Pro. Same price. I think Crucial labeling system for their memory for a Mac Pro is incorrect and all they allow you to pick from is 4 core and 8 core but they have DDR2 6400 for both of them. Same situation with US store. Their labeling system is different from all the other ram producers/seller for Mac Pro ram. Maybe you can explain their system to me.

Apple Mac Pro (8-core Xeon 5400 Series) Desktop/PC.

2 stars

£231.99 ex. VAT

£272.59 inc. VAT*

4GB kit (2GBx2)

DDR2 PC2-6400

CT774458

Apple Mac Pro (4-core Xeon 5400 Series) Desktop/PC

2 stars

£231.99 ex. VAT

£272.59 inc. VAT*

4GB kit (2GBx2)

DDR2 PC2-6400

CT774467
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Strange, on the UK store I see:

4GB 667MHz - £89.29

4GB 800MHz - £189.99

8GB 667MHz - £169.19

8GB 800MHz - £272.59

Glad to see the 8GB 800MHz kit dropping in price slightly.

Are you saying that they are selling the kit at two different prices?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Ah, I think you are looking at the memory upgrades for the newer 800MHz machines (5400 series). Remember that the newer 800MHz machines are still available in both 4-core and 8-core.

You need to look in the '4 core' rather than the '4 core 5400 series' drop down in order to get to the 667MHz parts.

Cheers...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Ah, I think you are looking at the memory upgrades for the newer 800MHz machines (5400 series). Remember that the newer 800MHz machines are still available in both 4-core and 8-core.

You need to look in the '4 core' rather than the '4 core 5400 series' drop down in order to get to the 667MHz parts.

Cheers...

Now I see. But Crucial is twice as expensive as most other sellers of Mac Pro memory. Not as high as Apple, but way out of line with the rest of the group such as OWC etc. At their prices, I could never see myself buying from them.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Has anyone installed this ?

Also, any other (or newer) recommendations ?

Thanks in advance.