Films with evil/vengeful mothers?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi all.

I'm trying to compile a list of films with evil mothers/vengeful mothers/mamma critters, etc. Basically, any film where the heroes fight through some adversity only to find they have to fight the "mother" of that adversity.

The worse the movie, the better. Stuff like this:

Virus

Deep Rising

Alien(s[3{Resurrection}]vP)

I, Robot

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Evolution (2001) David Duchovney, Julianne Moore, and Orlando Jones
  • Reply 2 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Arachniphobia (sp?)
  • Reply 3 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Caved In: Prehistoric Terror

The Deadly Spawn

Godzilla (1998 US version)

Anaconda II (not sure if she's the mother of all the males, but she's the only female)

Beowulf
  • Reply 4 of 19
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Star Trek: First Contact
  • Reply 5 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Star Trek: First Contact

Gah! How did I miss that one?!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
  • Reply 7 of 19
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    All of the home movies from when SDW2001, trumptman, and mojo2 were kids. It's the only explanation for how they turned out.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Alien/ Aliens

edit: never mind, didn't see it in that jumble in your initial post
  • Reply 9 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Robots

• Reply 10 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Carrie.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Friday the 13th?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Friday the 13th?

OMG ANOTHER ONE I COMPLETELY MISSED!

That'll go over well with the mormons around here.
  • Reply 13 of 19
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Perfume should be arriving from netflix for me today!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I've seen perfume - does it have an evil/vengeful mother?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I've seen perfume - does it have an evil/vengeful mother?

Uh yeah, she more or less popped him out onto the dirty streets of a fish market and left him to rot. Wiki says it best:

Quote:

Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is an orphan growing up in 18th century Paris. From the moment he is born, a scene which delivers a rapid series of focused visuals of objects (rotting meat, manure, dead fish, maggots squirming in carrion and disposed meat scraps, etc) in a squalid, public open-air meat market that all allude to a scent that would be, to any average human nose, extremely unsavory and repellant, and to the newly-born infant Jean-Baptiste, possessed as he is of extraordinary olfactory capability, surely shocking and most likely a lasting impression on the olfactorily-gifted babe. This fetid medley of scents does more to produce a healthy cry in the newborn babe than a smack on the bottom would normally do, and people around the market quickly turn on Jean-Baptiste's mother, accusing her of intent to abandon her child to die, though as explained in the film, all her previous brood had been still-born or did not live long after birth, so perhaps her culpability in this act is questionable. Regardless, Jean-Baptiste's mother is sentenced to death, and Jean-Baptiste is placed in an orphanage.

So yes, questionable, but it is part of his journey into life and obsession with a woman's scent.

Maybe I was really thinking of...

Officer: He's a tranvestite!

Dr. Fred Richmond: Ah, not exactly. A man who dresses in women's clothing in order to achieve a sexual change, or satisfaction, is a transvestite. But in Norman's case, he was simply doing everything possible to keep alive the illusion of his mother being alive. And when reality came too close, when danger or desire threatened that illusion - he dressed up, even to a cheap wig he bought. He'd walk about the house, sit in her chair, speak in her voice. He tried to be his mother! And uh now he is.

[pause]

Dr. Fred Richmond: Now that's what I meant when I said I got the story from the mother. You see, when the mind houses two personalities, there's always a conflict, a battle. In Norman's case, the battle is over, - and the dominant personality has won.

Deputy Sheriff Al C
    hambers: And the forty thousand dollars? Who got that?

Dr. Fred Richmond: The swamp. These were crimes of passion, not profit.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    It's been a while since I've seen Psycho, but I'm pretty sure that no one has to do battle with Norman's mother in the denouement.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Well Norman does; and he loses, as I recall.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    No more wire hangers ever!!!!!!!!!!!1