Can't update iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey I can't update my iPhone to the new version released in todays Macworld expo keynote. I keep getting this message. Does anyone else:

The iPhone software update server could not be contacted.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.

Is anyone else having this issue. Maybe too many people are trying to update their iPhones and flooding their servers. Hmm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

Hey I can't update my iPhone to the new version released in todays Macworld expo keynote. I keep getting this message. Does anyone else:

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.

Is anyone else having this issue. Maybe too many people are trying to update their iPhones and flooding their servers. Hmm

Wait a few hours.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cdlcdl Posts: 6member
    Having the same issue, and I figure that the servers are probably just getting hammered right now. It will calm down later today.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Too bad. It's ok I'm at work anyway. Cool stuff though eh? No need to start a new thread on the features here though, but it's pretty much awesome.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I had the same problem:

Once I had a look at few threads and discussions about this I remembered I had added a few DNS numbers to increase speed of web browsing. I deleted these (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) and it worked!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shutterrelease View Post

I can't update either! But I get a strange message telling me my iTunes is already up to date.

iTunes?? I want to update iPhone??

Why am I getting this? Is this just some error because their server is overloaded??
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berlingoodman View Post

I can't update either! But I get a strange message telling me my iTunes is already up to date.

iTunes?? I want to update iPhone??

Why am I getting this? Is this just some error because their server is overloaded??

I'm having MobileMe sync issues on my iPhone 3GS ... When I installed iOS4 a few days ago it was okay. Now it syncs mail but not contacts or calendars.

Since today is now the 24th morning in the USA, I reckon Mobile Me and all kinds of Apple servers are getting hammered right now.

Yet another MobileMe fail. Maybe it's just me, but a quick trip to Apple Discussions... and yup, you'll know the story.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Update: Okay to be fair, it appears trying something in here seemed to have worked:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1672

I did earlier try most of the steps, and could not get syncing back working.

But somehow leaving the contacts on the iPhone when turning off contacts syncing, then re-enabling syncing, choosing "merge contacts" seems to have worked. Very strange.

Also something like this may have helped:

"Isolate the issue to a specific data type

If the above did not resolve the issue, once again turn off all syncing, and then test each data type one at a time. For example, if Contacts syncs successfully, but Calendars does not, focus your troubleshooting on Calendars."

Deleting the MobileMe account then adding the whole thing back did not put contacts and calendars back.

Ah well... Back to tinkering, let's see if calendars will sync now. Looks like everything is syncing again. No one's perfect I guess, maybe everyone's syncing with all their new iPhone 4s slamming MobileMe servers. Haven't really tested if Push is working.