10.1.3 tommorow.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am guessing that at quicktime live Apple will release a new version of OS X (10.1.3) and an all new version of quicktime (version 6).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Are OSes hardware?

Uh huh that's what I thought.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I sure hope so. 10.1.2 has been the worst for me.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Are OSes hardware?

Uh huh that's what I thought.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no, they're not, but until appleinsider brings back a "future software" forum, they get lumped in the mish-mash of general discussion, never to be heard from again. don't like the thread, then don't post.

me, all i am hoping is that os x gets better support for kick-ass-yet-older scsi cd-rw's, like i own. heck, it's a 12x10x32x. i REFUSE to think it's ready for the trash heap.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I want fixed mp3 sound in avi!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Silly me. I'm just waiting for 10.2 to arrive. I don't want any update that isn't on a full install CD. If I need to reinstall, I don't want to wipe my hard drive clean to do it. Okay, if Apple gets an uninstaller for OS X I'll consider updating before that.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You can bet the house it will be called 5.1.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by snoopy:

<strong>Silly me. I'm just waiting for 10.2 to arrive. I don't want any update that isn't on a full install CD. If I need to reinstall, I don't want to wipe my hard drive clean to do it. Okay, if Apple gets an uninstaller for OS X I'll consider updating before that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

why do you need to whipe your hd clean to do it? why would you even need to reinstall with osx?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>I want fixed mp3 sound in avi!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree.

What I'd really like (and will never get) is an app that plays all the major multimedia file formats. Avi (including the all the zillion or so codecs), MPEG, RealMedia, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, DivX, whatever. I want a file to just play with my having to determine whether or not I have the requisite app and whether or not that app runs natively under 10.1 yet. And if I don't have the codec it automatically connects over the 'net and downloads it. This shouldn't be rocket science.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I wouldn't be surprised if QT 5.1 requires the OS X 10.1.3 patch, but don't expect much if anything to be mentioned about it except where they list system requirements.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    how old is QT 5? I dont think they will upgrade it to 6 this year.

[quote]What I'd really like (and will never get) is an app that plays all the major multimedia file formats. Avi (including the all the zillion or so codecs), MPEG, RealMedia, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, DivX, whatever. I want a file to just play with my having to determine whether or not I have the requisite app and whether or not that app runs natively under 10.1 yet. And if I don't have the codec it automatically connects over the 'net and downloads it. This shouldn't be rocket science. <hr></blockquote>

Unless Real and MS wont give up there codec then you have a problem.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by thentro:

<strong>how old is QT 5? I dont think they will upgrade it to 6 this year.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

it's pretty old. they should be updating it. the folks at divx have inside info and they have been hinting QT6
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Apple's moves on "the next version of quicktime" have been known for AGES, since they told all.

QT6 (tentative working title) will feature a major shift in compressed video for quicktime, a move so big, the default encoding system has been completely changed. Quicktime will no longer default to Sorenson, however it will now be an MPEG4 player/encoder (the first in the world, of the TRUE MPEG4).

This ****ing ROCKS.

Divx = good. Divx = based on an OLD version of MPEG4 (and hacked to pieces). 3ivx is an extension from that.

The overall results of MPEG4 will be BETTER quality, smaller. EVen more so than divx (also 3ivx I guess). Nice shieet.

Also, MPEG4 is something that Real jumped onto the band wagon of

MPEG4 is the next era of a cross platform, CROSS APPLICATION format (ie no longer QT specific, real specific, but a common format).

• Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>

I agree.

What I'd really like (and will never get) is an app that plays all the major multimedia file formats. Avi (including the all the zillion or so codecs), MPEG, RealMedia, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, DivX, whatever. I want a file to just play with my having to determine whether or not I have the requisite app and whether or not that app runs natively under 10.1 yet. And if I don't have the codec it automatically connects over the 'net and downloads it. This shouldn't be rocket science.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try the Media Player in the BeOS - its sorta what u want. better still there are teams out there to develop newer OS's based on the BeOS API's. The u can do what u like
  • Reply 15 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>

I agree.

What I'd really like (and will never get) is an app that plays all the major multimedia file formats. Avi (including the all the zillion or so codecs), MPEG, RealMedia, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, DivX, whatever. I want a file to just play with my having to determine whether or not I have the requisite app and whether or not that app runs natively under 10.1 yet. And if I don't have the codec it automatically connects over the 'net and downloads it. This shouldn't be rocket science.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's part of the aim of MPEG4 - not player specific - open format, etc.

[quote]Originally posted by Hornet:

<strong>QT6 (tentative working title) will feature a major shift in compressed video for quicktime, a move so big, the default encoding system has been completely changed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does this mean cocoa? *crosses fingers*