The "other" reason behind Apple TV connecting directly to the Internet now

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yes Apple wants to be the defacto standard in the new movie rental download phenomenon, but I think Apple has other "bigger" plans in mind for that little box. Coming either this year or next to the Apple TV is iTunes IPTV. Apple's TV Show subscription model is on its way. Apple TV is really a stealth set-top box - in case you didn't notice.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    gordygordy Posts: 968member
    Not really stealth...it is a set top box.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Yes Apple wants to be the defacto standard in the new movie rental download phenomenon, but I think Apple has other "bigger" plans in mind for that little box. Coming either this year or next to the Apple TV is iTunes IPTV. Apple's TV Show subscription model is on its way. Apple TV is really a stealth set-top box - in case you didn't notice.



    It's so stealth, I'll never see one under my TV.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post


    It's so stealth, I'll never see one under my TV.



    That was a good one



    iTunes IPTV is still coming though
  • Reply 4 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    That was a good one



    iTunes IPTV is still coming though



    There's a lot of free content out there already, as well as stuff I already own. I'd really rather have something that allowed me to view what I want, the way I want. Then, if Apple's offerings really appeal to me they should win on merit, not just because that's what's being thrown in my face.



    As it is they refreshed the software and had the employees run through each Apple store and "dust off" all the aTVs they had lying around. I don't dispute that the added content is a nice addition but it's only really raised the usability of the device from "piss poor" to "adequate". I guess since it's such a leap from what it was, that seems cause to be excited. I'm just not feeling it personally.



    I guess this is just a different category of device than I'm really craving. I want a Mac based HTPC (which the mini could easily become with some tweaks). I'm more than happy to have the iTMS movie rentals represent one aspect of that HTPC, but it's just that, a single piece in a larger whole.



    One last point. If a person was to hook this up without even owning a computer (per your original topic) then this device becomes even more ridiculous. It loses any ability to interact with any content except for iTMS. Apple has to love that.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've been bouncing back and forth between the mini and an AppleTV.



    mini: hook up Elgato box, add OTA HD antenna, grab other content via iTMS, ditch cable completely. (Cons: no HD movies from iTMS... do I really care?)

    ATV: Cheaper, HD movies, ummm... (Cons: no OTA TV, no easy manipulation of central media library)



    Hmm. mini is looking better for my needs.



    I *like* the ATV, don't get me wrong, and the mini would probably end up being used as an ATV-esque box for the most part. Hmm.



    C'mon Apple, update the mini and make this easy on me.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    ...C'mon Apple, update the mini and make this easy on me.



    I agree!... HDMI output and 802.11n networking... the mini becomes a much better value than the aTV, even though it costs more than twice as much.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    I agree!... HDMI output and 802.11n networking... the mini becomes a much better value than the aTV, even though it costs more than twice as much.



    I agree entirely. It's an issue of value and though the aTV has a much lower price, I perceive much less value as well.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the ATV is clearly intended to be an inexpensive and simple to use "media extender" for consumers' iTunes/iLife content. you can't record or process anything with it, it's all passive playback.



    so it works fine for all the people - a majority certainly - who do not attempt to process video and music beyond what limited capabilities are built into their computer's iTunes software (which automatically reformats files for iPods, iPhones, etc.).



    those that want to record, rip, convert, edit, etc. media obviously need more, an HTPC. right now the Mini works ok as a base unit, but we have to add a lot of third party hardware and software. so it is easy to imagine a "media Mini" that Apple should offer with: top notch video display card; CATV/OTA input and ClearQAM tuner; a new iDVR program; and an improved Quicktime Pro program for processing. of course, a higher speed processor chip would be nice too.



    i don't know why they haven't. it would sell well, even at a premium price. it wouldn't take any sales away from ATV, they're different universes.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,490member
    The average Joe doesn't want a computer in the living room, despite the fact that the Apple TV is a computer on the inside. It's UI and the whole package is not "really" a computer... and was never intended to be. And if the Apple TV becomes a hit it will be "precisely" because it doesn't act like a computer.



    At first it was a media extender, but now it's slipping it's way into becoming a set-top box. If it had even more storage and a DVD slot it would be the ultimate living room TV companion.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The average Joe doesn't want a computer in the living room, despite the fact that the Apple TV is a computer on the inside. It's UI and the whole package is not "really" a computer... and was never intended to be. And if the Apple TV becomes a hit it will be "precisely" because it doesn't act like a computer.



    At first it was a media extender, but now it's slipping it's way into becoming a set-top box. If it had even more storage and a DVD slot it would be the ultimate living room TV companion.



    I'm not looking for a HTPC type machine for a complex interface. I'm looking at it for it's non-crippled, non-single-mission capabilities. The aTV interface could just as easily be made available to an updated mini.



    It's got no extra features because they've just got the original models on a sort of "fire sale".
Sign In or Register to comment.