iPod Touch Maps w/o WiFi Access

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Before I spend $20, I have a question.

Let's say that I'm on a farm in Deerfield, WI, where there is no wifi. I get a call and need to go to another farm in Burglington, WI. Can I just enter manually, my current location, and the location that I want to be, then let the new Maps app show me directions, or do I actually need wifi to get the route, and download the map?

Is the map stored on my iPod Touch? Or is it downloaded each time?

Not all of us live in city areas with easy access to wifi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Before I spend $20, I have a question.

Let's say that I'm on a farm in Deerfield, WI, where there is no wifi. I get a call and need to go to another farm in Burglington, WI. Can I just enter manually, my current location, and the location that I want to be, then let the new Maps app show me directions, or do I actually need wifi to get the route, and download the map?

Is the map stored on my iPod Touch? Or is it downloaded each time?

Not all of us live in city areas with easy access to wifi.

I'm pretty positive it's downloaded each time. Basically, you need wifi to use most of the new apps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

I'm pretty positive it's downloaded each time. Basically, you need wifi to use most of the new apps.

I went ahead and paid the $20 just to experiment. At home, it quickly and accurately found my location (lots of wifi in my neighborhood). I entered my work address and quickly had directions.

Now that I'm at work, with no wifi available, it won't find me.

I manually entered a start and finish locations to get a route to my first job stop today, but it won't give me directions, without wifi access.

Basically, I wasted $20 this morning. Oh well, I've wasted a lot more than that before. That's a bummer too because I really could use the maps. Maybe I should switch to AT&T and get the iPhone......