Why no 160gig option on new Airbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Don't get me wrong, I love the airbook design. I don't even mind the lack of an optical drive, because I know where Apple is going in this wireless digital downloadable world we are living in. And I'd give up that for portability. I like that apple made it super THIN yet kept the full keyboard and screen. I also understand that the SSDs are the future. Right now they are just too darn expensive. But mark my words, in a few years time all Apple portables will use SSD because they'll be cheap with huge sizes.

THAT being said, I am still going to buy a macbook instead because of one main thing...HD size. I may have chosen the Airbook if the HD came in a 160gig version. 80gigs is just too small for my needs. It's just strange that with a 160gig ipod available, they couldn't offer it in the Airbook too. I wonder why. It can't be a size issue.

Anyway. I am super excited for Apple's direction. The future of laptops looks bright indeed. I'll be happy with a black macbook until the next update or two to the Airbook. If SSDs get bigger and cheaper, or if Apple offers at least 160 gig 1/8" HD like in the ipod...then I'll jump on board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love the airbook design. I don't even mind the lack of an optical drive, because I know where Apple is going in this wireless digital downloadable world we are living in. And I'd give up that for portability. I like that apple made it super THIN yet kept the full keyboard and screen. I also understand that the SSDs are the future. Right now they are just too darn expensive. But mark my words, in a few years time all Apple portables will use SSD because they'll be cheap with huge sizes.

THAT being said, I am still going to buy a macbook instead because of one main thing...HD size. I may have chosen the Airbook if the HD came in a 160gig version. 80gigs is just too small for my needs. It's just strange that with a 160gig ipod available, they couldn't offer it in the Airbook too. I wonder why. It can't be a size issue.

Anyway. I am super excited for Apple's direction. The future of laptops looks bright indeed. I'll be happy with a black macbook until the next update or two to the Airbook. If SSDs get bigger and cheaper, or if Apple offers at least 160 gig 1/8" HD like in the ipod...then I'll jump on board.

Probably has more to do with weight although size is also a considerable issue. Don't forget that the MacBook Air is not so much intended to be a primary computer. I think it's intended as a mobile computer... for traveling and business. Most of your files would be kept on your primary computer, so on the Mac Book Air, you don't need as much space.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Probably has more to do with weight although size is also a considerable issue. Don't forget that the MacBook Air is not so much intended to be a primary computer. I think it's intended as a mobile computer... for traveling and business. Most of your files would be kept on your primary computer, so on the Mac Book Air, you don't need as much space.

I agree the option for a 120 and 160 GB 1.8" hard drive should be available, and maybe even a 32 GB flash HD. If they are on the market, why doesn't Apple make them available? I personally use just under a 100 GB of space on my existing MacBook, so it looks like I am going to have to trim up my current setup, before my MBA arrives.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    80 GB is the largest a single platter 1.8" drive's available in. The 160 GB drive in the iPod is a double platter: it won't fit in the MBA.

As the "Air" suggests, I'm sure Apple has designed the MBA to store most of your files on a remote disk, keeping only the most important files local.

Here's my take on it: it's not a production machine. It's for your boss -- not doing production anymore, but lots of travel and presentations.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Here's my take on it: it's not a production machine. It's for your boss -- not doing production anymore, but lots of travel and presentations.

Exactly.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Exactly.

I guess it depends on what your 'production environment' requires - for me 80gb works just fine - I'm actually working off a 12" iBook with a 20gb drive - it just no longer has the speed I need and is stuck with OS X.3.9 and the latest updates of the apps I need won't install.