Copying mac jpg file to PC or server creates 2 files, HELP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi - I'm having an issue copying mac jpg files over to non mac systems (linux and pc). Whenever I copy or ftp the files, 2 files are created for every one file. I understand this is a mac thing due to it's file format being split in to 2 parts so am not concerned about the why.

This causes issues for me as I need to delete these 'dummy' duplicate files in order for my web apps to read the files properly.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the best method (if any) of copying / ftp-ing jpg files from a mac without this duplication issue.

Thanks !!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _kaiser_ View Post

Whenever I copy or ftp the files, 2 files are created for every one file.

Post an example with details on file size and creation / modification dates.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    You'll either need some sort of software that strips out the resource forks on the files, or you need to set your image editor not to create the resources in the first place.

Most modern OS X apps these days no longer create resources forks. I believe Apple advises that developers use packages instead for any extra resources used by files.

Now if you're using Photoshop the easiest thing to do is use the "Save For Web..." command instead of using "Save as...". Not only is the JPEG compression more efficient using Save For Web, but it also creates files without any resource forks, which Photoshop still insists on creating.

Another culprit which tends to create resource forks is GraphicConverter. You can change the behaviour, but it requires you to digg through the preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks Yama. Unfortunately these are unedited photos direct from the camera (Nikon D200 & S700) and ftp'd directly to the server or copied over to a pc via a home network (i.e. copy and paste). Even editing with Aperture 1.5 or Nikon's Capture NX and then saving still produces these hidden fork files so modern OS X app or not it's still created.

I was able to finally find an ftp product that gives one the choice of uploading this hidden file or not: Upload to FTP 1.5 It's an automator product. Works great!!!

Thanks for your help anyway and I'll definitely keep in mind what you said.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    talksense - the hidden file is .DS_filename.extension

So for example image.jpg has a hidden copy named .DS_image.jpg

As explained to yama below no edits were performed, pics came straight from the camera. Apple performs this resourcing for it's file system. I always wondered why my disk space disappears so quickly, hmmm, definitely not good in my book.