No Apple MID, SO....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know this is an Apple forum, but I was earlier engaged in a rousing discussion on a thread about a future Mac hand-held tablet.



Let me sart by saying that I love Macs, and own a Macbook Pro.



I very much desire a portable all-in-one solution mid/pda for entertainment and business.



However, I am pretty disappointed by the limitations of the the current apple hand-held, the ipod touch. No bluetooth, small screen, closed system etc..



I found out that the nokia n810: http://pbcentral.com/columns/hildret.../17oct07.shtml

is going to be released in Q2 2008 with Wimax!

Best Part: It costs like $420 at buy.com. Will probably be closer to $500 when new version comes out.



This little device has a 4 inch 800x400 resolution screen AND it is possible to install a version of KDE Linux on it.

So, you have a FULL computer in that amazingly small form-factor.

The list of free apps for a full Linux distro are pretty extensive.



Sorry Apple, just can't wait any longer.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,667member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsation View Post


    I very much desire a portable all-in-one solution mid/pda for entertainment and business.



    Many of us do.

    Quote:

    However, I am pretty disappointed by the limitations of the the current apple hand-held, the ipod touch. No bluetooth, small screen, closed system etc..



    Yeah the Touch came up just an I/O port short of being really useful!!! Not that it doesn't do its current job well just that it could easily do a lot more. As to the closed system well we will see how things open up with the SDK but I suspect you are right about the closed nature. At least I don't have a good feeling about the hardware being opened to user software.

    Quote:



    I found out that the nokia n810: http://pbcentral.com/columns/hildret.../17oct07.shtml

    is going to be released in Q2 2008 with Wimax!

    Best Part: It costs like $420 at buy.com. Will probably be closer to $500 when new version comes out.



    I've looked at the 810 extensively and you need to be aware of a few things. First; it comes with far to little built in flash. Second; the video subsystem does not handle movies well, there is a bandwidth issue.



    I'm not sure how much the WiMax version will be upgraded over the 810, but if Nokia listens to the forums they should be able to identify the worries and correct them. The one thing that Apple does well is make sure its devices are stuffed with enough memory.

    Quote:



    This little device has a 4 inch 800x400 resolution screen AND it is possible to install a version of KDE Linux on it.

    So, you have a FULL computer in that amazingly small form-factor.

    The list of free apps for a full Linux distro are pretty extensive.



    Personally if you install KDE you end up with less than a full computer in my mind so I wouldn't go that route if I was you. But it is Linux and you are free to do what you want to do.



    Apps are important and we don't really know what the response will be to Apples SDK. Probably a rush to make money. The lack of news with respect to the SDK has kept me from buying a Touch. So at this point Nokia seems to be at the top of the heap.

    Quote:



    Sorry Apple, just can't wait any longer.



    Yeah I'm getting that way too. The problem is the nokia platform just isn't ready in my mind. That mostly due to the hardware limitations. The software stack has gotten much better.



    Dave
  • Reply 2 of 8
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    If the sources were correct on the various rumor sites (including this one) the Apple MID the "mactouch" didn't make this year's macworld because it simply wasn't ready. I'm hoping that they will debut it next month along with the SDK announcements. Perhaps they would hold a very small media type event to show off the SDK. Because I don't see them making a brief announcement about it like they did with the mac pro. They would have to do some sort of event because I would think they would treat the SDK with great importance.

    I mean right?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post




    I've looked at the 810 extensively and you need to be aware of a few things. First; it comes with far to little built in flash. Second; the video subsystem does not handle movies well, there is a bandwidth issue.



    Really. I was under the impression that video was excellent on the 800/810. Thanks for the tip.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Personally if you install KDE you end up with less than a full computer in my mind so I wouldn't go that route if I was you.



    I'm no linux guru, but it seems that this would be a better option than dealing with the somewhat limited OS on the 810.

    It seems much easier to install apps, has full AD2P support, OpenOffice, and allows printing.



    You're right about Nokia possibly correcting these issues in the next release. If they do, they definitely have a new customer.



    Unless of course Apple brings out something amazing!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    And I'm pretty sure this product your discussing is even more niche than this new laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post


    And I'm pretty sure this product your discussing is even more niche than this new laptop.



    Not really niche anymore. Sony has the Mylo2. Apple, the touch. Lenova, BenQ and a host of others are coming out with affordable mid devices.



    Why carry a huge laptop anymore? Especially if the mids have computer-like functionality.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsation View Post


    Not really niche anymore. Sony has the Mylo2. Apple, the touch. Lenova, BenQ and a host of others are coming out with affordable mid devices.



    Why carry a huge laptop anymore? Especially if the mids have computer-like functionality.



    I didn't even see a need for this macbook air as a matter of fact. Perhaps they released it because a sizeable number of users wanted it. But the future is going to be in smaller devices that can do just as much.

    MIDs are not UMPCs and are not cell phones. My gut tells me that MIDs are the future and that Apple will once again pave the way for the rest of the industry to follow.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    I didn't even see a need for this macbook air as a matter of fact. Perhaps they released it because a sizeable number of users wanted it. But the future is going to be in smaller devices that can do just as much.



    Seems that a lot of people wanted an ultra-portable, ie lighter AND smaller. I think they misstepped here.



    Personally, if I was looking for a secondary laptop I would buy the 10" eeepc when it's released. Small and cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macsation View Post


    Seems that a lot of people wanted an ultra-portable, ie lighter AND smaller. I think they misstepped here.



    Personally, if I was looking for a secondary laptop I would buy the 10" eeepc when it's released. Small and cheap.



    That is what I wanted as well. I really want it in a tablet/UMPC/Samsung Q1 style thing.
Sign In or Register to comment.