Leopard won't install-says couldn't validate media files pkg

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I had some issues with my MBP with lockups. I would be able to move the mouse and as I scrolled across the dock icons would magnify. Yet if I clicked on any of the icons nothing would happen. I also was unable to use the Apple pull down menu or any menus at the top. If I had any programs open I could select areas such as in Mail or Word to type but yet I could click on those areas with the mouse but if I typed nothing happened. I have no clue what happened. If I shut down my computer and rebooted sometime it would boot in this state and in the best situation it would work a few minutes before it would get to this state. Maybe I should have tried to figure out this problem but since this computer is important for my job and I had all my data backed up I decided to do a clean reinstall of Leopard.

I first tried an update of Leopard but since I have the 10.5.1 update it would not do an update. I then decided to simply reformat the drive and do a complete clean reinstall. The problem is it will do a complete scan of the CD to make sure it's in good condition and that works 100%. Then it goes to the screen where it is installing. The progress bar reaches about halfway across the screen where around 36 minutes is left and then I get an error msg. It states:

"Install Failed. Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer. The installed could not validate the contents of the 'Media Files' package" and then below that it offers just one area to click on, to restart the computer. I have gone through this process easily 6-8 times today with the same results. I have used the original Leopard Family Pack CD I purchased. I even had two backups I immediately made at time of purchase to keep in a safe area. Both of these are doing the same thing. I have a hard time believing all 3 CD's are damaged or is something else causing this?