Dock, Pull Down Menus, Keyboard locking up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I upgraded to Leopard about 3 months ago and have had no problems at all with it. I just had a system lockup about once or twice a week where I'd have to shut down and restart my system and I never knew if this was a Leopard issue. Now two days ago I a bigger issue. I can be in the middle of typing something and my keyboard stops working. If I press any keys I get 'gong' sound showing the system knows I'm pressing a key but nothing appears. I'm not sure if this is the same issue that Leopard has been mentioned to have.

The other two issues is for no reason my dock will lock up. I am able to scroll over it and my Icons magnify but if I click on any of the programs the icons does nothing at all. Also, the pull down menus at the top won't work. I am unable to choose any menus along the top of the screen.

When this happens my only choice is often to just shut down and restart. Sometimes when it restarts it is immediately like this. Other times it may take several minutes but rarely over 10 minutes Only once did it start working again after minutes without a reboot.

I actually tried a reinstall of Leopard. It would crash in the middle of it. Someone suggested I try a Hardware Test. I did and found an error on one of the two memory sticks in my computer. I replaced the memory and no longer have this problem with the Leopard install but I was hoping this was my problem so chose then not to do a reinstall and restored from a backup. Unfortunately this problem is still occurring.

It's obviously frustrating and I'm almost tempted to just do a reinstall and restore all my data such as documents, itunes music, etc. from my backup but I dont want to deal with reinstalling all of my apps. Any idea what is causing this? This started just after the MacWorld updates for iTunes, Front Row, and Quicktime but have no idea how it would cause this.