MacBook Air: One instead of Two

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
"It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation." Gordon Gekko - Wall Street 1987

Just realized that the cost of MacBook Air 1.8 GHz is the exact sum of a MacBook 2.0 GHz plus a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz.

MBAir = 3.098 $

MB + MBPro = 1.099 $ + 1.999 $ = 3.098 $

Is the MacBook Air worth two computer?

Titan10

::

Solid State Drive you crazy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Right.... but we do realize that MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not ultra-portables, right?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

Right.... but we do realize that MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not ultra-portables, right?

Sorry I do not.

I just realized that I can carry 2 pounds more, for a more powerful computer, and have a MacBook Pro for free.

Titan10

It is a cost/benefit analisys
  • Reply 3 of 19
    The odd thing is: when I look at Apple's Store, I see

MacBook $1249 (w/ 2GB RAM)

MacBook Air $1799

MBP $1999

So, for less than the cost of a MBP and just 300 more than a MB, I can get a much lighter and more compact computer that is therefore much easier to carry around and to whip out and get to work with, which is just what some professionals (ie businessmen, writers, the like) are looking for. They don't want or need the power or expandability.

Where did you get the one for two bit? I wouldn't dream of the SSD drive for another year.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post

The Air isn't an ultra-portable either, just an unusually thin/light normal size notebook.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Why do people compare these things like the SSD is standard rather than a luxury option?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Why do people compare these things like the SSD is standard rather than a luxury option?

For the same reason people compare the price of a nano to ipod classic? "Wow, for only $x more I can get x more GB's..." People always disregard the fact that shrinking something is expensive. Plus, of course, the R+D of engineering something into such a small package.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titan10 View Post

Sorry I do not.

I just realized that I can carry 2 pounds more, for a more powerful computer, and have a MacBook Pro for free.

Titan10

No, you will have a computer that is approximately 10,000 times slower every time it accesses the hard drive. The vast majority of non-computer scientists have no idea of what a bottleneck reduction the flash drives are in comparison to traditional spinning hard drives. With a SSD you can reasonably kiss the spinning cursor of death goodbye for a properly running program.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Sorry I do not.

Titan10

you are not the target audiance of these ultra lights: the target group s really two fold: celebu-tards with too much money to spend and executives who only need Excel and Poweropint and Outlook, and the lightest possible laptop for it as they travel and just want to toss it in their breif case inside a sleeve...this is not for the every day user, creative pro, or college student, it is for execs and the "gotta have the latest on the red carpet" crowd

that said, sign me up for a Macbook with 100GB SSD a couple years from now!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Until I started doing regular business travel, I wouldn't have understood. But now I do travel, and now I do understand.

I work out pretty hard and wouldn't even mind if the computer weighed 5, 6, even 7 pounds. A few years ago I would carry around a bag with two laptops: a 6 pound TiBook and a 7 pound Toshiba. What's more important is the ability to easily slide into luggage, sleeves, briefcases, etc. As far as I can tell, in this regard the Air is at least a generation ahead of anything else in the industry. Going through airport security sucks. It's worse when your laptop is chunky and hard to pack and unpack. Same goes for accessing it when it's in an overhead bin.

I would also like to point out that usage of PDF is at least as important to the contemporary business traveller as is the usage of MS Office apps. This is a distinct advantage for the Air, simply because it runs a PDF-rich OS. Adobe Acrobat is a beast of an app which, frankly, is only valuable for going through very long, very detailed documents. Preview is much more responsive than is Acrobat, has all of the note-taking features of Acrobat Standard, and is essentially free. I can't image how sluggish Acrobat is on a Sony ultra-portable compared to how fast Preview would be on a MacBook Air.

By the way, I wouldn't exactly call myself an executive (or a celeb-u-tard).
  • Reply 10 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Just realized that the cost of MacBook Air 1.8 GHz is the exact sum of a MacBook 2.0 GHz plus a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz.

MBAir = 3.098 $

MB + MBPro = 1.099 $ + 1.999 $ = 3.098 $

Uh, that's totally false. You're comparing an upgraded MBA to standard configs for the others. I mean, I could also say "OMG what a ripoff the MacBook is $2499 which is $700 more than the $1799 MBA!" and not explain that I upgraded the RAM and hard drive on the MacBook.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

No, you will have a computer that is approximately 10,000 times slower every time it accesses the hard drive. The vast majority of non-computer scientists have no idea of what a bottleneck reduction the flash drives are in comparison to traditional spinning hard drives. With a SSD you can reasonably kiss the spinning cursor of death goodbye for a properly running program.

From what I've been able to research, SSD are faster reading, but slower writing as of today. In the future, it looks very promising.

Quote:

Write speeds are a fraction of read speeds. Most benchmarks show an average of 8x-10x slower sustained write speeds then a spinning hard drive. They even state lower write speeds then read speeds in the specifications. However, it is usually much worse than even the stated speed. With the normal amount of random writes that occur, and file systems that are not optimized for flash on SSD, you will find that the real world tested write peformance on an SSD drive is lacking.

Anand Tech SSD test..
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

From what I've been able to research, SSD are faster reading, but slower writing as of today. In the future, it looks very promising.

Anand Tech SSD test..

No. I cannot accept those tests a face value. They were using a SSD with an IDE interface against an SATA 150 interface hard drive, and probably a horrendous driver to boot. That test isn't a measure of the SSD Flash capabilities, but a test of known interface technology speed differences. In short, the test is meaningless to the case of a MacBook Air.

The 1.8" drive in the MacBook Air is not an SATA150 interface, but a slow parallel ATA interface mounting a 4200 rpm drive, not the 7200 rpm platter which will also skew the test results compared to the actual MacBook Air. With the PATA interface being the same for both the SSD and the HD, there will be no comparison in performance, SSD will win by a mile.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The odd thing is: when I look at Apple's Store, I see

MacBook $1249 (w/ 2GB RAM)

MacBook Air $1799

MBP $1999

I write again the second line of my original message

"Just realized that the cost of MacBook Air 1.8 GHz is the exact sum of a MacBook 2.0 GHz plus a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz."

MacBook Air 3,098 $

MacBook 1,099 $

MacBook Pro 1,999 $

Titan10
  • Reply 14 of 19
    -----
  • Reply 15 of 19
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

"Just realized that the cost of MacBook Air 1.8 GHz is the exact sum of a MacBook 2.0 GHz plus a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz."

MacBook Air 3,098 $

MacBook 1,099 $

MacBook Pro 1,999 $

Titan10

It's already been proven that you don't know what you're talking about - give it a rest.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

MacBook Air 3,098 $

MacBook 1,099 $

MacBook Pro 1,999 $

Titan10

And a Mac Pro with the 3.2ghz, 32gb of RAM, this, that and blah costs more then the price of all of Apple's computers put together! Including the standard configuration of the Mac Pro!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I do not understand why people are so aggressive.

I compared the price of three computer, all of them made by Apple, all of them portable.

My point is: with the price of one computer, you can buy two.

Obviously the have different specs.

A forum is a place to express an opinion and listen to other persons opinions.

Someone with a different opinion improve my knowledge of the matter because it gives a different point of view.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

I compared the price of three computer, all of them made by Apple, all of them portable.

No, you didn't.

You compared the price of a spec'ed-out MacBook Air to the base model Macbook and the base model MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Air is $1799, not $3098, as you stated in your main premise. You were either wrong, or trolling. Admit it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Uh, that's totally false. You're comparing an upgraded MBA to standard configs for the others. I mean, I could also say "OMG what a ripoff the MacBook is $2499 which is $700 more than the $1799 MBA!" and not explain that I upgraded the RAM and hard drive on the MacBook.

Exactly.

And if you want to be a jerk and say you said specifically the 1.8GHz Air, then you'd still be wrong. The (non spec'ed out) 1.8GHz MacBook Air is $2099.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    OMG I can get five shuffles for the price of one touch! Clearly, the touch is totally overpriced.