New 10.5.2 screen shots

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As noted over at Ars, the BabyGotMac site has a few new 10.5.2 screen shots.



In addition to the improved Stacks behavior (thank you, Apple!) already discussed here and there, there's a toggle for menu transparency, the optical disc sharing shown as a feature on the MacBook Air becomes a system default, and (ta da!) all hail the return of network drive Time Machine backup.



There's been some dark speculation that Apple deliberately disabled this feature from early Leopard builds and made it a Time Capsule only deal, so as to drive sales of same, but it looks like such speculation, she were unfounded.



Fixing Stacks and network backup are the biggies, in my book. Looks like 10.5.2 is shaping up to be quite the nice little update.



Getting the Stacks thing straightened out restores my faith in Apple's sanity.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    Nothing too exciting. The stacks update looks.... alright. Thanks for posting.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,670moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haveyoumetmark View Post


    Nothing too exciting. The stacks update looks.... alright. Thanks for posting.



    It is exciting for people who need the features. I suspect the wireless backup will be very popular. Also 10.5.2 is supposed to be the SSE4 optimized update for Penryn, which should make owners of the new Mac Pro happy.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Not to mention the fact that in this update Apple have listened to its customers and given us a non-hack way of disabling the menubar translucency.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Glad to see Apple has listened to its customers and reviews...Im used to the menu bar transparency at this point, but the stacks feature definitely needed rethinking! I've been using HierarchicalDock in the meantime, which is a great app. However ,Apple should not have disabled a tried and true function of the dock.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Looks like 10.5.2 is shaping up to be quite the nice little update.



    Little? I read somewhere that it will be one of the biggest, if not the bigger, point update of Mac OS X. In importance and in size. We will see of course.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    lets hope that they'll also add a checkbox for "use 3d dock", so that the non techie users can disable the hideous 3d dock.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,771member
    The menubar option should shut Gruber up.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    lets hope that they'll also add a checkbox for "use 3d dock", so that the non techie users can disable the hideous 3d dock.



    Amen. However, I don't think there's much chance of that happening.



    Still, I'm a side dock man myself, so with menu bar transparency and Stacks fixed, my interface gripes with Leopard are all pretty much resolved.



    Next up: an option for matte screens on the consumer machines. If Apple were to do that, I would have nothing to complain about-- although that's never stopped me before.



    No, wait, I forgot: the new iMovie, still stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I'm also hoping that this point update will fix the problems I've been having with my MacPro and wireless. It's completely odd in that it'll work fine, then drop out for no apparent reason. This behavior wasn't occurring when using Tiger so I know the hardware is good. Hopefully it'll be resolved with this update.



    I'd also love to see something new tossed in for good measure as well, something none of us is expecting. Something that perhaps wasn't ready for initial release but was far enough along that it wouldn't get bumped back to the next great cat.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Next up: an option for matte screens on the consumer machines. If Apple were to do that, I would have nothing to complain about-- although that's never stopped me before.



    No, wait, I forgot: the new iMovie, still stupid.



    Amen right back at ya!



    I never liked glossy screens. We use them at the office for graphics design and matte screens are more true to print/video colors. I don't want the effect of colors being "boosted", and I really don't like the reflections on the monitor.



    iMovie: I don't use it, but my mother does. I tried to help her out since she used iMovie 06 for home videos. The new version really sucks. I think Apple knows that, because it leaves the older version in your Applications folder as a "backup" (and that doesn't happen with the other iLife apps).
  • Reply 11 of 25
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    lets hope that they'll also add a checkbox for "use 3d dock", so that the non techie users can disable the hideous 3d dock.



    Install OnyX, open it, choose Parameters/Dock and in Appearance click on "2D with transperancy effect". It's that easy!
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    lets hope that they'll also add a checkbox for "use 3d dock", so that the non techie users can disable the hideous 3d dock.



    Why not use TinkerTool? TinkerTool offers many undocumented features that you can tweak. Highly recommended.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifonline View Post


    Why not use TinkerTool? TinkerTool offers many undocumented features that you can tweak. Highly recommended.



    what don't you understand about non-techy users? \
  • Reply 14 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    ... and (ta da!) all hail the return of network drive Time Machine backup.



    There's been some dark speculation that Apple deliberately disabled this feature from early Leopard builds and made it a Time Capsule only deal, so as to drive sales of same, but it looks like such speculation, she were unfounded.



    OMG, now what will the conspiracy theorists have to speculate about?!?!?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post


    what don't you understand about non-techy users? \



    I understand that TinkerTool is a simple program to use. Try it, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.



    [center][/center]



    Install and run TinkerTool, click on the DOCK tab at the top of the window, and click on the checkbox identified in the screen capture. Click on RELAUNCH DOCK and you're all done. You can even reverse this if you wish to get back to the original dock.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifonline View Post


    I understand that TinkerTool is a simple program to use. Try it, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.



    [center][/center]



    Install and run TinkerTool, click on the DOCK tab at the top of the window, and click on the checkbox identified in the screen capture. Click on RELAUNCH DOCK and you're all done. You can even reverse this if you wish to get back to the original dock.



    I 2nd the TinkerTool vote. An easy-to-use app with great features. I've been using it to put double scroll arrows at both ends of the window for years now.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Wireless backup!?



    FINALLY!



    This is great news for me.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post


    iMovie: I don't use it, but my mother does. I tried to help her out since she used iMovie 06 for home videos. The new version really sucks. I think Apple knows that, because it leaves the older version in your Applications folder as a "backup" (and that doesn't happen with the other iLife apps).



    I had to create an account just to reply to this. You are incorrect. The new iMovie requires a G5 processor, but none of the rest of iLife requires a G5 processor. Therefore, if you have a G4 and you install the new iLife, it refuses to install the new iMovie and moves the old one out of the way. If you don't have the old one, it is a free download off the Apple site for owners of the new iLife.



    This has nothing to do with the quality of the product. The product won't run on a large number of machines still supported by 10.4.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Detrius View Post


    I had to create an account just to reply to this. You are incorrect. The new iMovie requires a G5 processor, but none of the rest of iLife requires a G5 processor. Therefore, if you have a G4 and you install the new iLife, it refuses to install the new iMovie and moves the old one out of the way. If you don't have the old one, it is a free download off the Apple site for owners of the new iLife.



    This has nothing to do with the quality of the product. The product won't run on a large number of machines still supported by 10.4.



    Ah okay then! Good that's sorted out.

    But it still is a really bad upgrade, don't you think?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,664member
    I don't think it's so much of a bad upgrade as "a completely different app with a different user in mind".



    As such, it seems to be pretty well liked by that new user, and pretty much hated by people who were deeply into the old iMovie.



    Which is why I think Apple made and makes the free download available, processor requirements notwithstanding. The new iMovie flatly can't do a lot of what the old iMovie could, and losing a lot of functionality didn't sit well with a lot of people.



    It remains to be seen if Apple can or wishes to make the new iMovie as functional as the old. They have already addressed a few issues, but there is much more to be done.
Sign In or Register to comment.