Macbook replacement harddrive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I got tired for waiting for a 13.3" MacBookPro, and just got a MacBook. So far I kinda like it, but it annoys me that the harddrive on this thing is so slow - I had put a 7200rpm drive in my old Powerbook and it was lightning.

I'm going to add RAM to this guy, so I'm thinking maybe I should just put a 7200RPM drive in there. I've searched and couldn't find much info so I figured I'd ask - has anyone put a 7200RPM drive in a MacBook? Does it make it overheat? Any specific drive/model recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jethro1138 View Post

So I got tired for waiting for a 13.3" MacBookPro, and just got a MacBook. So far I kinda like it, but it annoys me that the harddrive on this thing is so slow - I had put a 7200rpm drive in my old Powerbook and it was lightning.

I'm going to add RAM to this guy, so I'm thinking maybe I should just put a 7200RPM drive in there. I've searched and couldn't find much info so I figured I'd ask - has anyone put a 7200RPM drive in a MacBook? Does it make it overheat? Any specific drive/model recommendations?

It's a piece of cake, takes about three minutes, and I've never heard of any problems with heat...

As to suggestions, not sure which brand is best... seems they're all pretty good nowadays save the occasional bad batch which might come from any of the companies...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It's a piece of cake, takes about three minutes, and I've never heard of any problems with heat...

Cool. I understand it's a gazillion times easier than on the Powerbook - but I am worried about the heat with a 7200RPM. It also ate up a lot more battery power! So I'm trying to get a bunch of people to say they put in a 7200RPM drive and it's still ok (:
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I would go with a Seagate or Western Digital. Seagates seem to have a bit better warranty and are usually quieter. Upgrading the RAM and the HD in your computer are some of the best, cheapest upgrades you can do, to me, it can turn an older computer into a speedy little machine. I wish Apple offered a 7200 RPM option from the factory, but than, I probally wouldn't select it, since they would likely charge twice as much as what you could get the drive for yourself from NewEgg etc. and install it yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdwellcc View Post

I would go with a Seagate or Western Digital.

That's cool, except the only ones I can find are Hitachi! *lol* No rush though.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yeah, I tossed a 7200 RPM HDD in my Macbook (Core Duo). Before doing so I spent a few hours online researching all the latest 7200 RPM drives. I checked speed benchmarks and paid careful attention to notes on heat and noise. This information is not hard to find. I think in the end I wound up putting a Hitachi hard drive in, but please note that a lot has changed since that date, and there will almost certainly be a better choice now.

I maxed out the RAM too. The machine runs very smoothly.

It runs noticeably faster than it did when it first arrived. No noise or heat issues.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Before doing so I spent a few hours online researching all the latest 7200 RPM drives.

but please note that a lot has changed since that date, and there will almost certainly be a better choice now.

Actually looks like Hitachi are the only people making 7200RPM 2.5" SATA drives larger than 100gigs! At lleast that I can find! But they have good reviews, especially in conjunction with Macbooks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jethro1138 View Post

Actually looks like Hitachi are the only people making 7200RPM 2.5" SATA drives larger than 100gigs! At lleast that I can find! But they have good reviews, especially in conjunction with Macbooks.

Seagate makes one as well (Momentus 7200.2) -- OWC shows it first try. They also always have competitive pricing and excellent instructions on how to install.