need some people with Skilz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey there, i'm new to Mac, i waited for Macworld conf and then to my dismay...no new display!

I got a octocore and a pc monitor...well i figured everyone had drivers for both...eeee, wrong.

I told the guy on the phone that i bought a Mac and wanted the Dell 30" and got it all set up and shipped. Well i have no drivers for it.

What's the best solution where i can keep the monitor and still have the drivers?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

Hey there, i'm new to Mac, i waited for Macworld conf and then to my dismay...no new display!

I got a octocore and a pc monitor...well i figured everyone had drivers for both...eeee, wrong.

I told the guy on the phone that i bought a Mac and wanted the Dell 30" and got it all set up and shipped. Well i have no drivers for it.

What's the best solution where i can keep the monitor and still have the drivers?

thanks in advance!

What? "Where can I keep the monitor and still have the drivers..."

I have no idea what this means. Can you not hook up the monitor and see that it works? Can you not calibrate it with the monitor calibration tools?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Can't say that I've ever seen a monitor driver.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I talked to a tech at Dell and they said i should contact someone at apple to see if there is a program or something that will let you use a .exe file from my Driver disc...then i will have all the options the monitor provides at my disposal. Right now it is limited in functions. It works yes...i need to calibrate it for photography.

There are definatley windws only monitors out there...wierd eh?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Use apple colorsync and/or the stuff in - system preferences-displays. Exe's don't work on macs. Oh, how we with they did...\

Hope you enjoy your new computer anyway!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    System Preferences: Displays: Color: Calibrate

You don't need to run the .exe to calibrate the monitor. And by the way, the .exe is not a "driver".
  • Reply 6 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

System Preferences: Displays: Color: Calibrate

You don't need to run the .exe to calibrate the monitor. And by the way, the .exe is not a "driver".

He's saying forget about the DELL package. Use Apples calibration tools. they are built in.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    the .exe is for auto running the disc to bring up the software and drivers that work with the monitor.

I got my Spyder color calibrator working, i believe it was only that i needed to re-start the computer for the software to take hold. After re-starting my Spyder puck that goes on the screen to calibrate the colors.

I bought this monitor not only because of the quality but the face that it has so many ways to connect peripherals to it and its usb 2 as well as memory card slots on the side.

Trust me if they would have announced that Apple came out with new displays, i would have got the whole system but the Cinema display although good it just doesn't have the future built into it and the speed of screen refresh is quite lazy by todays standards. Maybe i should have just done it but i can't reward apple for it's lack of innovations in their pro line.

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback i really appreciate it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

the .exe is for auto running the disc to bring up the software and drivers that work with the monitor.

I got my Spyder color calibrator working, i believe it was only that i needed to re-start the computer for the software to take hold. After re-starting my Spyder puck that goes on the screen to calibrate the colors.

I bought this monitor not only because of the quality but the face that it has so many ways to connect peripherals to it and its usb 2 as well as memory card slots on the side.

Trust me if they would have announced that Apple came out with new displays, i would have got the whole system but the Cinema display although good it just doesn't have the future built into it and the speed of screen refresh is quite lazy by todays standards. Maybe i should have just done it but i can't reward apple for it's lack of innovations in their pro line.

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback i really appreciate it.

Well congratulations on your purchase, you got a great monitor. Fortunately, neither color calibration nor usb expansion nor card reading capabilities require any drivers on the Mac. Didn't realize you had a hardware calibration device. It should work just fine with ColorSync. Have fun with your 8-core monster!