OS X, Delta 410, and 4 channel sound

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, so I got my set of Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers a while back. I'm running OS X almost exclusively now (gotta get a new burner), and now I want 4.1 channel sound.

I've heard that OS X is really great with multiple channel sound (not just stereo liks OS 9 and below). So, I went looking for sound cards that had outputs for 4 channel sound or better. Came across the SoundBlaster Live! and the Midiman Delta 410.

The SBLive has shitty drivers and rarely works with anything, especially OS X. So that one is out of the question.

I've been e-mailing back and forth with one of the Midiman sales people. It has 4 inputs, 10 outputs, plus S/PDIF input & output. They have drivers that support Mac OS X (and classic OSs too). The card does not have hardware DTS decoding.

So, what I need to know, is will Mac OS X provide software decoding for surround sound so that I can output 4 discreet channels to my Klipsch speakers? Will it work for DVDs, games that support DTS surround, etc.?

Thanks everyone,

-Ender

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    This is a semi-pro audio card, intended for music studios, so I would question whether it would be supported by game programmers. The card will work with OSX but I don't know if it's what you want for a "surround sound" setup of the home theater variety.

So I'm not trying to say this WON'T work for what you're trying to do, just that this isn't its intended use.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    They need an Audigy or Game Theatre for mac.