Time Capsule+AppleTV

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the introduction of Time Capsule and update of ATV, I started wondering about whether we will see a merge of those two in the future.

They both seem to be occupying a similar position in their respective disciplines as a hardware solution that sync (or back up) your assets on multiple machines. Both are built around wireless connectivity and internal storage and are not "fully functional computers".

My logic is that since they are based on similar components and perform similar tasks in assisting your digital life, perhaps it would be more convenient and less expensive to merge them into one.

Being interested in both of those devices i would certainly prefer to get all-in-one device for my living room, rather then two separate ones.

Perhaps Time Capsule+ATV= iHome

What do you think ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I had been hoping that when Apple got to releasing a NAS, they would take the concept to the next level. Therefore the "Time Capsule" is pretty disappointing.

I think it would be better to keep Time Capsule and ATV seperate, but to offer a version of ATV with no built-in HDD, and to upgrade Time Capsule with a built-in iTunes server. The ATV with no HDD would stream content from Time Capsule, and could store music you purchase or movies you rent direct with ATV on Time Capsule.

What I hope to see long-term from Time Capsule is:

1.) Option for built-in cable or DSL modem.

2.) Two HDD "slots" enabling upgrade/replacement of HDDs without having to take apart casework. The HDDs could be configured to combine to provide twice the storage, or as a redundant RAID for maximum data security. The entry-level device would ship with one HDD to keep entry-level cost low.

3.) Built-in iTunes server. Should be cunning enough to use users' Time Machine backups as the source for the server. Should run one instance of an iTunes server for each user who has a Time Machine backup on the device.

4.) Built-in SMB and webservers.

Yes, if you are a geek you can do something like this already with a computer, but setup would be a nightmare and the power consumption would be much higher than necessary. Apple could build the above using the System-on-chip they use in the iPhone, and they could make some really nice software to make it incredibly easy to administrate.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I had been hoping that when Apple got to releasing a NAS, they would take the concept to the next level. Therefore the "Time Capsule" is pretty disappointing.

I think it would be better to keep Time Capsule and ATV seperate, but to offer a version of ATV with no built-in HDD, and to upgrade Time Capsule with a built-in iTunes server. The ATV with no HDD would stream content from Time Capsule, and could store music you purchase or movies you rent direct with ATV on Time Capsule.

2.) Two HDD "slots" enabling upgrade/replacement of HDDs without having to take apart casework. The HDDs could be configured to combine to provide twice the storage, or as a redundant RAID for maximum data security. The entry-level device would ship with one HDD to keep entry-level cost low.

3.) Built-in iTunes server. Should be cunning enough to use users' Time Machine backups as the source for the server. Should run one instance of an iTunes server for each user who has a Time Machine backup on the device.

Yes, if you are a geek you can do something like this already with a computer, but setup would be a nightmare and the power consumption would be much higher than necessary. Apple could build the above using the System-on-chip they use in the iPhone, and they could make some really nice software to make it incredibly easy to administrate.

That would be a really nice all in one solution. However, at some point in the evolution of the iTV, I would expect tuner(s) to be included so that it could also work as a DVR. This would be a great all in one "iHome" solution, and if Apple could make this work as seemlessly and effortlessly as they do make their products, it would be a huge success. Imagine recording tv shows onto your iHome, and wirelessly transfering them to your iPhone/iPod touch for viewing on the go. This would probably be a DRM nightmare, but that stuff is going to have to disappoear eventually, no? And the TV studios would still be getting their ad revenue because that commercials aren't disappearing or anything like that.

There was another post by someone else that talked about iPhone/iTV syncing and using the iPhone as a remote and such, and I think it was a GREAT concept and necessary evolution for a seamless tech home..
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I personally would like to see Time Capsule evolve into a home server appliance... I agree with Mr. H. Time Capsule and Apple TV should remain separate products...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatne1wuddo View Post

?necessary evolution for a seamless tech home..

I would like to see an Apple home server one day?

The return of front-end thin clients & back-end heavy iron?!

;^p
  • Reply 5 of 6
    And what functions would your home server that you invision, provide?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by birdwellcc View Post

And what functions would your home server that you invision, provide?

Maybe if you actually followed the link??!?