Blue Ray any time soon???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

So, after investing in Mac Pro, extra memory, extra HD, Final Cut Studio 2 and waiting for a year to find out that Mac is more interesting in renting movies than making Blue Ray reality for professional videographers... it's depressing.

Dusan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shanika View Post

So, after investing in Mac Pro, extra memory, extra HD, Final Cut Studio 2 and waiting for a year to find out that Mac is more interesting in renting movies than making Blue Ray reality for professional videographers... it's depressing.

Dusan

I agree. Its kinda weird they haven't yet. I'm in the same boat. I have clients who have already asked if I can give them the video for weddings in blu-ray. I think they are missing out on a lot of their true fans and helping to advance a good technology that WILL be around for some time. At least in my line of work. I can't offer clients a stream download of their wedding video from itunes. They unfortunately want the disk. Can you help us out Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    They want you to FTP wedding shoots to iTMS so that your customers can rent them on their aTV. As a bonus, if other people rent their wedding video then you and your customers get a slice of the revenue generated. It's their new business model...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Dusan

Depressing? Isn't that a bit hyperbolic? You can already burn HD content to DVD by targeting HD DVD. Compressor 3 can target Blu-ray via a Telestream plugin but you'll have to export to another application. Blu-ray comes with some "not so trivial" DRM features that must be implemented. This isn't like adding a DVD recorder. The earliest we may see something is 10.5.2 (which is hefty) but it could be even later.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylen01 View Post

I agree. Its kinda weird they haven't yet. I'm in the same boat. I have clients who have already asked if I can give them the video for weddings in blu-ray. I think they are missing out on a lot of their true fans and helping to advance a good technology that WILL be around for some time. At least in my line of work. I can't offer clients a stream download of their wedding video from itunes. They unfortunately want the disk. Can you help us out Apple?

What would be better for many would be Blu-ray content on DVD IMO. For a wedding with very little post processing and codecs like AVC or VC-1 Videographers could profitably deliver up to an hour of content on a DVD disc in HD.

We need multiple forms of output for client delivery. "One size fits all" approaches aren't going to help. A DL 8.5GB disc is going to hold and hour of video at 1080p 18Mbps. That's more than any consumer AVCHD camcorder can record right now. If we went 720p/30 for consumer video we'd get over 90 minutes on a disc that's under a buck.

Blu-ray is good for Hollywood that wants to put copious amounts of extras on disc but for smaller videographer a delivery method that is both inexpensive and flexible. The BDA's play here is AVCHD on DVD. I'd get a good disc printer and focus on my packaging and delivering content that can play on a Blu-ray player without paying 10+ dollars a disc.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    My customers already have PS3 and/or they are planing buying BD Player soon, so I have to have BD of their weddings some time this spring. I need reliable system to produce BDs. And most of my clients for this summer came to me because they wanted BD of their wedding. Some of them wants 3-4 hours on BD, I can't give them 90 min.

Dusan
  • Reply 5 of 10
    90 minutes is ok for a very few people. If they just got our basic package, no extras, just the film and thats it. But we also do Photography (1,000 X 5mb = about 4 dvd's), gag reels, reception interviews, etc. It would be nice to give them one disc instead of 10 disks. A lot more professional if you ask me. Plus were are we going to be in a few years. Higher resolution? maybe... dvd just doesn't cut it anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Dusan

Blu Ray drives are readily available right now if you really want to buy one. Google it and they are yours.

2X Burner $404.98

Anything more than 2x is going to cost you $500+
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The drives are of little importance. What's needed is full authoring support including BD-Java for enhanced Menu and Interaction features.

I think Apple will be there. NAB 08 should finally bring a major update for DVD Studio Pro (which was virtually untouched last year) and at the least Apple should offer optional support for higher end authoring.

the main problem is that Apple really does have to insert the DRM technologies within the core of the OS. Even the Apple Cinema Displays will have to support HDCP if we want to playback protected content. Mac OS X has never had such pervasive DRM at such a low level IIRC.

Whew 3-4 hours of Wedding content! That's gotta cost a pretty penny. Hey you only get married once right
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The drives are of little importance. What's needed is full authoring support including BD-Java for enhanced Menu and Interaction features.

Exactly, its not only the drives, but the back end menu's and stuff. I can easily just put the data onto the disc and let it go from there, but I want it to play like a blu-ray movie does. Have the feel of it being something professional, and not just thrown onto the disc.

Although there are drives out there I'm still holding out for the apple superdrive for it. I personally want it just for backups alone. Full Picture Raw files I can fit about 300 on a DVD. so 4 dvd's per wedding usually. Then don't get me started on HD footage. I use a few hard drives as well for backup but I've had them fail and always use disc media to backup as well. I feel like all I do all the time is burn dvd's.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Just because FCS2 doesn't have BD option I have to build a PC system. Luckily, I have Vegas and a PC.

Now I have to buy LACIE BD Burner for MAC and PC. More expensive but it will work for MAC, one day when they decide to hear us.

Dusan
  • Reply 10 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I just hope the delay in offering high definition drives has to do with the format war and not with some misguided desire to push the iTunes format or an internal belief that the optical disc is somehow dead. That being said, if Apple doesn't do something soon, it might be to its peril with some of the pro users. You know you're behind when the $99 consumer Premiere elements can do on the PC side what the $1300 Final cut studio cannot.