Speculation about 1st MacBook Air Speedbump

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm speculating that the first MacBook Air speedbump will be driven by Intel's release of Montevina, planned for May. My guesses for what the revised MacBook Air will look like:

- Processor: Penryn running at 1.8 or 2.0GHz

- Memory: Still 2GB but DDR3 at 800MHz

- Storage: SSD will still be 64GB but will cost less than $1K; a BTO 120GB HDD might be available

- LCD: Perhaps a higher resolution BTO option -- virtually a sure thing if Resolution Independence is done by then

- Network: Perhaps WiMax support

I expect the low-end model will continue to be priced at $1799. It's possible that Apple might make the announcement at the WWDC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Considering how infrequently Apple updates the processors of the current MacBooks and MacBooks Pro, I doubt we'll see a MacBook Air update in as little as 5 months from the original release.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not going to happen.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Considering how infrequently Apple updates the processors of the current MacBooks and MacBooks Pro, I doubt we'll see a MacBook Air update in as little as 5 months from the original release.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not going to happen.

The average periods between updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro are 199 and 186 days, respectively.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Portable_Macs

So, about six months is likely and the specific timing will be driven by the availability of suitable new technology from Intel.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm speculating that the first MacBook Air speedbump will be driven by Intel's release of Montevina, planned for May. My guesses for what the revised MacBook Air will look like:

- Processor: Penryn running at 1.8 or 2.0GHz

I suspect that that will depend entirely on the power profile. Apple could go for more battery life or it could go for more speed. Power wise though Penryn has been a bit of a disappointment, so hopefully intel resolved that.

Quote:

- Memory: Still 2GB but DDR3 at 800MHz

The memory engineering is the only thing Apple got right on the current AIR. That is enough to keep the machine useful for a few years. Personally I'd like to see two offerings, one with 2GB the other with 4GB.

Quote:

- Storage: SSD will still be 64GB but will cost less than $1K; a BTO 120GB HDD might be available

The SSD should be a hell of a lot cheaper right now than it is! Given that I suspect a larger capacity HDD. What I'd really like to see is a Compact Flash or SD port on the machine. This so we can install our own cheap SSD's.

Quote:

- LCD: Perhaps a higher resolution BTO option -- virtually a sure thing if Resolution Independence is done by then

The resolution has to be something that you can actually see otherwise it is a waste.

Quote:

- Network: Perhaps WiMax support

It was pretty stupid of Apple not to provide for this in the current machine. At the very least an expansion slot for WiMax or a cell modem.

Quote:

I expect the low-end model will continue to be priced at $1799. It's possible that Apple might make the announcement at the WWDC.

I think you are being optimistic here. Even more so I believe the first rev will be to address the AIR short comings to prop up sales. I'm not convinced that the rational buyer will be adopting this machine in large numbers. Since the problems with the Air are not centered around the processor nor the RAM, the first rev will focus on the AIR's I/O short comings.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The average periods between updates to the MacBook and MacBook Pro are 199 and 186 days, respectively.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Portable_Macs

So, about six months is likely and the specific timing will be driven by the availability of suitable new technology from Intel.

Which is likely to arrive during Q3 (july-sept) with new small package penryn chips. For th MB Air, they will come in 2 flavors:

Core 2 Duo SL9400 - 6MB of L2, 1.86GHz, FSB 1066MHz, TDP 17W

Core 2 Duo SL9300 - 6MB of L2, 1.60GHz, FSB 1066MHz, TDP 17W

While speed has not really increased, those pack more cache, a faster FSB, a lower TDP (since I believe the current one is around 20W), and don't forget the Montevina GS chipset that will have better graphics, DDR3 support up to 1066, etc...

All this would make for a snappier, lower power machine.

Of course I expect bigger HDDs, when the 100/120/160GB models are small enough, and a price cut on SSD options.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Which is likely to arrive during Q3 (july-sept) with new small package penryn chips. For th MB Air, they will come in 2 flavors:

Core 2 Duo SL9400 - 6MB of L2, 1.86GHz, FSB 1066MHz, TDP 17W

Core 2 Duo SL9300 - 6MB of L2, 1.60GHz, FSB 1066MHz, TDP 17W

I thought the release date for those was in May together with Montevina, which would imply Apple shipping them in June or shortly thereafter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Form_Factor.29