Buying Imac But Unsure 20" Vs 24"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I Really Want The "wow Factor" In My New Imac, Soooooo I'm Considering The 24" Screen Which I

Will Be Using @ A "hutch Like" Computer Desk. My Main Concern Is This Will Cause Eye Strain Vs The

20" Which Is Similar To The 17" Studio Display I Currently Own. I Keep Going Back & Forth........i Want

To Order But Can't Make Up My Mind!!! I Played With Both @ The Apple Store While Standing, But I'm

Concerned That It May Be A Whole Lot Different Sitting In Front Of This. Any Thoughts Or Advice

Anyone????? Does Anyone Own The 24" Imac & If So, Are You Sorry You Bought This Size? Ty For Any

Good Advice!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    One thing you may wish to bear in mind is that the 24" is a higher-quality 8-bit IPS panel, but the 20" is a cheaper 6-bit TN panel. The response time of the TN panel is lower which should be good for games with lots of motion, but everything else is inferior to an IPS panel.

By the way, why have you capitalised the first letter of every word in your post? Isn't that quite a lot of wasted effort?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    batbat Posts: 47member
    You can't have too much memory, too much HD space or too big a screen. Besides, you REALLY want the 24". Do it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I ordered the 24" the day it was announced, Sept. 6, 2006 and am as happy today as I was then, never a regret. Go for it and I think you'll be pleased with the decision.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

One thing you may wish to bear in mind is that the 24" is a higher-quality 8-bit IPS panel, but the 20" is a cheaper 6-bit TN panel. The response time of the TN panel is lower which should be good for games with lots of motion, but everything else is inferior to an IPS panel.

By the way, why have you capitalised the first letter of every word in your post? Isn't that quite a lot of wasted effort?

It's an automatic by forum software standards. He originally wrote his post entirely in caps. The forum software publishes totally cap posts by leaving only the first letter of each word capitalized. Try posting something entirely in caps. See what happens.

I have a 24" iMac and I love it. It's the best thing on earth. I would be, really, really disappointed if I had the 20". Not too big at all. No regrets at all. Go for it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you don't need the better graphics or large hard drive, since you already have a display, you can get a Mac Mini.

The problem with hutch-like enclosures is that the optical drive and ports on the iMac are hard to reach so you have to keep swiveling the machine round.

Also if you have a light source behind you, it's going to show up quite badly in the glossy display.

Another thing to watch is the height of the machine. A relative of mine has the 20" iMac in a similar enclosure and it only just fits in below one of the shelves.