Help with Region Free DVD's on iMac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi folks,

O.K., I'm going to try and keep this as short and sweet as possible in the hopes that A) this thread will get read and B) that I'll get some replies! I'm really in a hole and so am throwing myself at the mercy of all you amazing Apple techy-minded folks!

I want to find a way to be able to put my Region 2 DVD's on my iPod via my iMac. I don't want to plug in an external region free drive. I don't want to change the iMac's firmware. So what I'm looking for is...

1) A piece of software that will either act as a region free DVD player (I know how to disable the Apple one) or a piece of software that will upload the DVD while decoding it so that the Apple DVD player or any other DVD player software can read it

2) A piece of software that will then allow me to transfer that DVD to an MP4 format which I can then put on my Ipod Touch

Perhaps there's a single piece of software that does both things?

I have tried MacTheRipper but it keeps giving me corruption errors. When I try to take the rip and and work it through a VOB processor (to switch it up to an MP4) the files aren't recognized. I had already downloaded the VLC software so I think I had all the bases covered.

And speaking of VLC, I can get Region 1 DVD's to play on it but not Region 2 so that's been pretty useless also.

I then downloaded the Fairmount software and tried that route but that only seems to freeze up and quit working. I think I'm doing the right stuff in that I turn on the VLC, insert my Region 2 DVD, open the Fairmount software - at which point the R2 DVD icon disappears from the desktop (which I think is supposed to happen, right?), the Fairmount software acts as though it's doing something...but then hangs up.

So as you can see...I've tried a bunch of things - and I need HELP!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I'm English and have about 200 R2 DVD's so if someone can help me solve this riddle they'll be doing me a GREAT favor! If your suggestion works I'll even mail you a couple of DVD's as a thank you!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Have you tried Handbreak?

I believe they are a French company so should be understanding about your Region 2 issue.