boot problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok guys here's the problem. I recently purchased a Mac Mini, great lil computer, installed the bluetooth/airport card in myself (i know i know, they say dont but it's really not that hard). Well when I went to start it I must have bumped something inside cause I got the dreaded Darwin black boot screen. Well I cleared the PCU (or whatever the power thingy is) and the RAM and everything else, restarted it, and now it runs up the screen u get when u first start the computer, the set up screen basically. "Welcome to Mac OS X"....etc....select area, do you want to xfer info from another mac, than it gets to the keyboard selection. I select U.S. but nothing happens, continue can be clicked but only once, it than goes grey, i can go back but that does nothing except what I already did. Any idea what might be going on here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davak View Post

Ok guys here's the problem. I recently purchased a Mac Mini, great lil computer, installed the bluetooth/airport card in myself ...

Did you buy an older machine. Late G4 and all the Intel Mini's has this standard... so what did you actually install? ;-)

Run the DVD Installer, redo OS X. But for keyborad, might have blew out the usb port or something when you were in there...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davak View Post

Ok guys here's the problem. I recently purchased a Mac Mini, great lil computer, installed the bluetooth/airport card in myself (i know i know, they say dont but it's really not that hard). Well when I went to start it I must have bumped something inside cause I got the dreaded Darwin black boot screen. Well I cleared the PCU (or whatever the power thingy is) and the RAM and everything else, restarted it, and now it runs up the screen u get when u first start the computer, the set up screen basically. "Welcome to Mac OS X"....etc....select area, do you want to xfer info from another mac, than it gets to the keyboard selection. I select U.S. but nothing happens, continue can be clicked but only once, it than goes grey, i can go back but that does nothing except what I already did. Any idea what might be going on here?

Try removing what you installed incase it's loading down the bus. If it works again, then it's the wrong model card for your model mini, or the card is bad.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

Try removing what you installed incase it's loading down the bus. If it works again, then it's the wrong model card for your model mini, or the card is bad.

Good thought... I asked the service tech about that one time, why the Mini needs RAM upgrades in the shop. He told me those things are so delicate, people were busting the cards, antennas for the wifi & bluetooth doing it themselves. Borderline a pain to work on.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    just an update, I ended up installing a copy of Leopard I had laying around on the Mini (G4 power pc btw..older), and it boots up and everything went just fine and it works MARVELOUSLY, i really dont know WHAT happened but it's fixed now...