What's the hold-up?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I tried calling Apple today, but let's just say I didn't exactly get a good answer to my question, so I will post it here to see if anyone knows the answer.

Why is the new Mac Pro with the 8800 GT delayed? Is it a lack of cards? Is Apple still writing the driver (i.e. will it be in 10.5.2)? What else?

All they would tell me is that my order will ship when it ships, essentially. They were nice about it, but it was obvious they didn't know what was going on with it.

So, does anyone around here know? Any rumors or whatnot?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's a BTO item. That means Build To Order. They have to install the cards for individual orders. It's a first come first serve thing. Mine is supposed to be here on Feb 28th. Get in line.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It's a BTO item. That means Build To Order. They have to install the cards for individual orders. It's a first come first serve thing. Mine is supposed to be here on Feb 28th. Get in line.

Mine will be here no later than the 19th , so get behind ME!!!

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Mine will be here no later than the 19th , so get behind ME!!!

I had problems with my order, and cancelled it, on the first day so I had to re-order the following tuesday. My first order shipping time was way less, but that's what happens when you have to go to the back of the line. I was originally going to get the 3.0GHz because I didn't think there would be that much of a difference between .2Ghz increase, but then I looked at it as .2GHz x 8, and changed my mind.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

It has nothing to do with first come, first serve. If that was the case then people who ordered a Mac Pro (with a 8800 card as a BTO) on the day of introduction would already have their Mac Pros. People who ordered their Mac Pros without the optional 8800 card, but with some other BTO items, have already received their new Mac Pros.

Look at the Mac Pro I just configured on Apple's on-line store. A pumped up BTO Mac Pro. Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days. Hey! Look! I jumped in front of you! Remember, it's first come, first serve and it has nothing to do with you ordering the 8800 card (You think maybe it does and your answer to the poster was to simplistic?)

Cart Items \tQuantity \tItem Price \tItem Total

Mac Pro

Part Number: Z0EM

AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)

Two 16x SuperDrives

Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse

Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

16GB (8 x 2GB)

Accessory kit

4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

\t

Total: \t$10,599.00

Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days
  • Reply 5 of 11
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Mac Pro

Two 16x SuperDrives

16GB (8 x 2GB)

Accessory kit

\t

Yeah - that's great Roy, but the other guys ARE ordering the 8800.

sooo ... the delay would appear to be with supply of the 8800 not with anything else.

Just saying.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

It has nothing to do with first come, first serve. If that was the case then people who ordered a Mac Pro (with a 8800 card as a BTO) on the day of introduction would already have their Mac Pros. People who ordered their Mac Pros without the optional 8800 card, but with some other BTO items, have already received their new Mac Pros.

Look at the Mac Pro I just configured on Apple's on-line store. A pumped up BTO Mac Pro. Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days. Hey! Look! I jumped in front of you! Remember, it's first come, first serve and it has nothing to do with you ordering the 8800 card (You think maybe it does and your answer to the poster was to simplistic?)

Mac Pro

Two 16x SuperDrives

16GB (8 x 2GB)

Accessory kit

\t

The line for the upgraded graphics card I assumed was what the poster was referring to. I usually point unanswerable questions towards the obvious appropriate place to ask, but I am tired so sue me.

The wait for the card itself... who knows? I'd take it to the Apple forums. Maybe someone there has actually asked Apple the question. I didn't care, I just new what I wanted and ordered.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Yeah - that's great Roy, but the other guys ARE ordering the 8800.

sooo ... the delay would appear to be with supply of the 8800 not with anything else.

Just saying.

Sooo, you think Apple is holding all the orders for the 8800s until it can fill them all? Not logical.

You don't think Apple thought no one would order the 8800 card and they got caught with there pants down? Not logical.

You don't think the manufacturer of the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT was totally unaware that Apple was going to offer their card as a BTO and they got caught with their pants down?

What the reason for the delay is, I don't know, but it's not as simple as "first come, first serve", "wait your turn in line", or "simple supply and demand".
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

The line for the upgraded graphics card I assumed was what the poster was referring to. I usually point unanswerable questions towards the obvious appropriate place to ask, but I am tired so sue me.

The wait for the card itself... who knows? I'd take it to the Apple forums. Maybe someone there has actually asked Apple the question. I didn't care, I just new what I wanted and ordered.

I asked the unanswerable question, as you put it, to see if anyone had had experience and/or insight into the reason for the delay.

It seems around here that when an answer is dificult or unknown the response is sarcasm or condescension.

How helpful is that?

Perhaps try simply saying: "We don't know the answer." And then make suggestions, such the helpful one above about trying the Apple forums.

Quote:

Sooo, you think Apple is holding all the orders for the 8800s until it can fill them all? Not logical.

You don't think Apple thought no one would order the 8800 card and they got caught with there pants down? Not logical.

You don't think the manufacturer of the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT was totally unaware that Apple was going to offer their card as a BTO and they got caught with their pants down?

What the reason for the delay is, I don't know, but it's not as simple as "first come, first serve", "wait your turn in line", or "simple supply and demand".

I agree and that is why I posted the question. To me, these things seem obvious. But perhaps the fault is mine for not explicitly stating all obvious and possible reasons for the delay in my OP.

As I did state in my OP, if the driver for the 8800GT is going to be a part of the 10.5.2 update, then we could all be waiting for that before they ship them out.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

I asked the unanswerable question, as you put it, to see if anyone had had experience and/or insight into the reason for the delay.

It seems around here that when an answer is dificult or unknown the response is sarcasm or condescension.

How helpful is that?

Perhaps try simply saying: "We don't know the answer." And then make suggestions, such the helpful one above about trying the Apple forums.

Three things.

!) Didn't I just say that? 2) Who was being sarcastic? 3) If your going to cry about it I'm going to tell your mom your using the grownups web browser.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Three things.

!) Didn't I just say that? 2) Who was being sarcastic? 3) If your going to cry about it I'm going to tell your mom your using the grownups web browser.

I just love people who can abuse someone else but go running for the cover of "Not me" when it gets pointed out.

Yes, "I want my mommy" is such a devastating come back.

I can't wait for your next blistering remark that succinctly demonstrates your superiority and overweening intelligence.

Please enlighten us.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

I just love people who can abuse someone else but go running for the cover of "Not me" when it gets pointed out.

Yes, "I want my mommy" is such a devastating come back.

I can't wait for your next blistering remark that succinctly demonstrates your superiority and overweening intelligence.

Please enlighten us.

You're the one who pushed the envelope. I had already explained it, and you decided to drag it out. Blame yourself for being a cry baby. I'll leave your mom out of it.