just upgraded my macbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
to 4 gigs of ram...

WOW

A macbook with one gig is like a Mercedes with four flat tires!

My entire workflow open, I went from 2GB pageouts, 3GB swap to 0 and 0! ROCK ON

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I have two gigs in mine and never seem to use it all. I have a large green pie piece all time.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I've 2 gigs of ram in my MBP. I rarely get page outs. But I do seem to get them while encoding video with Handbrake. Is this to be expected?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've 2 gigs of ram in my MBP. I rarely get page outs. But I do seem to get them while encoding video with Handbrake. Is this to be expected?

can u explain what page outs are?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    ROCK ON, brotha ... A Mac Pro at my work I put in 8GB. W00t. Running OS X Leopard Server it goes from anywhere between 6GB free to 0GB (as in no green part but still running smooth, etc.) when serving NetBoot/ NetInstall.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

That's when the system borrows the HDD memory when it uses all the available RAM during a process. System performance suffers greatly.

Usually I'll start an encode before going to bed and will do a little surfing on the net. Since encoding takes such a long time, I let it finish while I'm sleeping. Often all I have open is HB and safari/camino. I will usually only have about 10 tabs or less open in the browser.

If you are having a lot ?of page outs during use then you should think about getting more RAM. I only seem to get them while encoding video with handbrake.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

Just to add. I used to hack on Unix systems and when I effed up and had a huge memory leak the system would pound the disk writing stuff in memory to the harddrive. That's when I used the kill -9 commmand.

It's called a "pageout" because memory in Unix is organized in "page"s (chunks of memory). A "pageout" is when a page is written to the disk and then that memory is used for other stuff that's needed. When your RAM is used up and then the unused data in RAM will get "paged out". The problem is that it's slow and if you're trying to do it all then you need all the pages.

I wonder what a pageout is like on the MBA?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thanks for the explanations... ill have to monitor those things when im playin nfs carbon.