Can I ask a Vista question?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Please forgive me for asking a Windows Vista question but I am really up against a wall with a problem. My wife is taking a college class via the internet and needs a PC to use some payroll sorftware so we bought a cheap Dell PC with Vista. We are trying to get our EPSON Stylus Photo R320 to work with this OS. On the mac the printer is fine and if you put in a CF memory card it mounts on the desktop and as a drive and you can then copy those files to another folder to store them on the HD etc.

With windows Vista ( yeah I know this is windows and all ) things are not working here.

I went to the EPSON website and downloaded a software download for use with this printer and as for a driver the EPSON website seemed to indicate using the correct driver within Vista in the pulldown menu in the Add Printer utility within the control panel.

Anyone able to help me and hold their nose with a windows question like this?

I am sorry to ask about Windows in a Mac environment but I must say you all are far more intelligent in this community all these years hence me really wanting to ask you all in my time of need and frustration.

MUCH thanks to you all....

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

With windows Vista ( yeah I know this is windows and all ) things are not working here.

What exactly is the issue? Any error messages in the system/application event log? Any conflicts in Device Manager? You should be able to see the memory card in my computer as a drive icon.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Im not understanding your issue...OP you never really posted your exact problem
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orionthx View Post

Im not understanding your issue...OP you never really posted your exact problem

Thank you both.... My problem was that Windows did not "see" that my printer was connected.

One random day when I powered up the PC it did "see" the printer and proceeded to ask me to install the USB2 drivers as well as the printer drivers now that it "saw" the printer.

What I DO NOT understand is why during many power - ups and downs it failed to see the printer when it was hooked up and turned on etc. etc. but one random day when I powered up the PC it did finally "see" the printer and allow the proper drivers to be installed.

Ohh and WHY the heck does not Vista come with USB 2 drivers standard????? I had to install USB 2 drivers for God's sake.... I thought just about everything was USB 2 these days if it is not wireless..

What is funny is that I had already installed a printer driver from EPSON half a week prior. It is just that nothing ever worked.. The card reader function of my printer did not show up as a drive nor did the printer work when I sent it a job it would have "error" messages. yet these "error messages" told me nothing.

But again things are working fine now so thank you all for trying to help me.

I could not tell you why it was so random that windows saw the printer after so many times of shutting down and powering up the PC over about a week.

goodness only knows.

I can say that while I like Vista in a lot of ways I really LOVE my mac OS and find it to be much more rock solid, faster and without glitches as compared to Vista.

Nothing against Vista but it just seems bloated.

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Thank you both.... My problem was that Windows did not "see" that my printer was connected.

One random day when I powered up the PC it did "see" the printer and proceeded to ask me to install the USB2 drivers as well as the printer drivers now that it "saw" the printer.

What I DO NOT understand is why during many power - ups and downs it failed to see the printer when it was hooked up and turned on etc. etc. but one random day when I powered up the PC it did finally "see" the printer and allow the proper drivers to be installed.

Ohh and WHY the heck does not Vista come with USB 2 drivers standard????? I had to install USB 2 drivers for God's sake.... I thought just about everything was USB 2 these days if it is not wireless..

What is funny is that I had already installed a printer driver from EPSON half a week prior. It is just that nothing ever worked.. The card reader function of my printer did not show up as a drive nor did the printer work when I sent it a job it would have "error" messages. yet these "error messages" told me nothing.

But again things are working fine now so thank you all for trying to help me.

I could not tell you why it was so random that windows saw the printer after so many times of shutting down and powering up the PC over about a week.

goodness only knows.

I can say that while I like Vista in a lot of ways I really LOVE my mac OS and find it to be much more rock solid, faster and without glitches as compared to Vista.

Nothing against Vista but it just seems bloated.

Fellows

I am a vista user as well a mac user. I use windows as my main machine because i dont want any incompatibility issues with my peripherals. Although Vista is kinda against that idea. Anyways, about your problem, as far as i know, Vista has a lot of compatibility issues with printers and scanners. I would say try uninstalling the drive and installing it again. Resetting everything if you can. If this does not work, there is a good chance that your printer is incompatible with vista. So you might want to consider going back to what works before. I use HP printer and im lucky that my printer works. you might also want to check with the company that manufacture that printer. You might get some ideas on what you should do.

Good Luck with your problem ( i know how frustrating it can be with incompatible stuff)

Wish you the best
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I dont know whats your plan in the future, But If you can, get a mac pro. you wouldnt need to worry about any of this issues at all. cause with that, i can use XP, Vista, and Mac all at the same time soo i wouldnt need to worry which OS is better. For easiness MAC is the easiest for me, while Windows is the most versatile (School related program are mostly design for windows not Macs) as much as i love, Mac, i am still waiting the day when i dont need windows at all.

Till then, i'll use windows and mac OS X, which why mac pro is the best choice in my opinion
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I have a Mac Book Pro and it runs windoze just fine, primary machine for me at home. A MacBook can handle virtual machines. Fusion I think is better..
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Make sure the drivers are .msi or vista supported
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I ended up buying an expensive USD 79 USB->Serial converter instead of the USD 17 USD-Serial Converter for Vista support. At the end of the day though, I am happy that I can get work done. The penalty for upgrading to Vista is steep. Yes, Microsoft is the debil, but lazy manufacturers are to blame for driver issues.