Mac Pro + ??" screen + PS3 = help

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have saved up my student pennies and its time to move away from my lovely Macbook to something with bit more grunt now I'm working to a higher standard! In the next week I plan to get a new Mac Pro, but I am a bit stuck with a few questions.

1. Whats better to work with, two 20" screens or a larger single 30" screen?

I work with CS3, VectorWorks and I'm starting to look into profession video editing.

2. If I go with the 30" screen would it be possible to link up a PS3 to it?

I could get a better spec MP if I didn't have to upgrade my TV

3. Sorry to go on but is there a freeview box or TV tuner that allows the MP to receive TV?

Not that I watch much but the larger screen would mean I won't have a Tv in my room.

Cheers!

Will

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Willbo87 View Post

It depends. Two 20" means you have a backup if one display goes bad. But using an extended desktop isn't as nice as a single display as the menu and dock only appear on the main display.

Two screens are good for movie editing though because you can compare two movies fullscreen side by side and it's a good place to keep all the toolboxes.

I personally prefer a single screen for most things.

Quote:

You might need an adaptor like the HD Fury:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGXO6Xs96g

Quote:

3. Sorry to go on but is there a freeview box or TV tuner that allows the MP to receive TV?

You can get a freeview tuner from elgato:

http://elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmen...oduct1.en.html
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

I have saved up my student pennies and its time to move away from my lovely Macbook to something with bit more grunt now I'm working to a higher standard! In the next week I plan to get a new Mac Pro, but I am a bit stuck with a few questions.

I work with CS3, VectorWorks and I'm starting to look into profession video editing.

I could get a better spec MP if I didn't have to upgrade my TV

Not that I watch much but the larger screen would mean I won't have a Tv in my room.

Cheers!

Will

1. depends. I think they offer about the same total screen area. I would prefer the 30, but I can go find people who would prefer the 2x20.

2. Not directly.

3. I know there are. Elgato, I think, used to make some.

I would recommend, though, that you seriously consider getting a lower-end machine, saving some money. None of the activities you do need the latest and greatest. You're "starting to look into professional video," which means you shouldn't get a pricey Mac Pro until you actually start generating revenue. It's not like a Mac Pro is required to do video rendering, it just does it faster. You have time on your hands. My recommendation: keep the MacBook, keep the TV, and get a 24" iMac or a low-end Mac Pro at the highest. The Mac Pro isn't going away. If you find that your video editing or whatnot starts to demand a Mac Pro, get one then. Save the money for the time being. You can use it buy beer and fuck around on the weekends, which I remember as being fun things to do back when I was a student.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hey cheers! Well I've done a bit of research on the Apple screens and they would be super crap to run a PS3 through them as they have a real crap contrast ratio and also no direct HDMI port. So I can understand the people who are looking for the much welcomed update!

So I've decided to look into running a Mac Pro through a HDTV. Would it work? Is anyone doing this and is it better than a normal monitor? That way I don't have to worry about my PS3 or a TV tuner.

I greatly appreciate the guy who telling me to spend my money on beer and enjoy myself! Double thumps up to you sir! But I'm getting some help with the funds for a Mac Pro as I've just turned 21! Hurray! So I've just recovered from friday nights partying session! Wish I could remember it!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

So I've decided to look into running a Mac Pro through a HDTV. Would it work? Is anyone doing this and is it better than a normal monitor? That way I don't have to worry about my PS3 or a TV tuner.

I don't think there are any video cards that do HDMI-out. You'd want to get a TV that is 1920x1080p, too, which isn't cheap. Neither are these monitors*, which offer DVI and HDMI inputs.

If you're going to do video, you'll want at least one monitor and a TV.

*Link failed. vB sucks. Cut & copy yourself

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=2889%3A24672
  • Reply 5 of 10
    you can get a cable that will go DVI -> HDMI to use an HDTV, just keep in mind that the res will ONLY be 1920x1080. Even at 30", you'll find that for computer work, that's fairly low-res for the screen size.

It works great for viewing movies though... I can plug my pBook into a 46" screen DVI->HDMI and watch all sorts of good stuff that way... it gives a clear picture as a computer screen, just real low-res )compared to screen size.)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Why don't you just tell us how much money you have to spend, and we'll suggest options?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Also, why don't you look into the Dell Widescreen monitors? I hear they are the same screens as the cinema displays (could be wrong) but pack a TON more inputs while being cheaper.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    i would go with the 2 20's next to each other so you can possibly even have two different projects going at the same time. and as for the tuner, there's something called eyetv which now that i was going to post a link is from the same company as the previous posters have said. so those are my views, do with them as you please

p.s. having 2 monitors looks cooler as well
  • Reply 9 of 10
    On my westinghouse 37" 1080p Monitor I run

Mac pro on DVI1

Vista Media Center w/ HDhomerun on DVI2

& and xbox 360 @ 1080p on the VGA port

There are also composite/svhs/and 2 HDMI ports but I don't currently make use of them.

Its actually a really good setup unless your girlfriend wants to watch TV and you want to post in a forum.

-J

Quote:

Hey cheers! Well I've done a bit of research on the Apple screens and they would be super crap to run a PS3 through them as they have a real crap contrast ratio and also no direct HDMI port. So I can understand the people who are looking for the much welcomed update!

I greatly appreciate the guy who telling me to spend my money on beer and enjoy myself! Double thumps up to you sir! But I'm getting some help with the funds for a Mac Pro as I've just turned 21! Hurray! So I've just recovered from friday nights partying session! Wish I could remember it!

• Reply 10 of 10
    FYI: woot.com is selling acer 24" LCDs right now. Cheap.