Buying a MAC BOOK PRO next Tuesday :D

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sup guys, I will be buying my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro next Tuesday if they don't come out with an updated one. My next school projects will definitely require a Mac, so this is the right time for me. I don't know if I should wait another week after that, but I need one now, so I have to buy it. WOOT WOOT, EXCITED.. I just hope the Penryns aren't THAT BIG of an update though.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Well, most agree that a new MBP is coming soon, at the latest, the end of febuary. If you need it now, get it, but be warned, updates are very close...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    My next school projects will definitely require a Mac, so this is the right time for me.



    I'm just curious, but if I may ask, what are your school projects that require a Mac?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but many of my current school projects would be practically impssibal on a PC.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    I never liked the ProBook keyboard, the MacBook's one kicks ass though. I hope they refresh the MacBook Pro damn soon to give it Air-like design traits.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    I'm just curious, but if I may ask, what are your school projects that require a Mac?



    hey, well for one, the mac fonts don't seem to work on PC. Like they would have some .dfont extension and other fonts, then I try to install it on PC and it doesn't work. Also my school has some .MAC server where I can upload/download files to that server. Only Macs can access it but PC's can't.

    Maybe there is a way, but I don't have time to figure it out cause I already tried. And not only that, but we will be working with 300DPI projects and my PC is only a Core Duo so it only makes sense to go Core 2 Duo.



    I also buying the MAC because rumors say it could be as late as March 17th or as early as the end of February. My projects start now, I really wish I could have waited. I'm just extemely excited to get one next Tues/Wed.

    Here is a link to the March 17th rumor http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=423406



    thanks guys!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    Sup guys, I will be buying my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro next Tuesday if they don't come out with an updated one. My next school projects will definitely require a Mac, so this is the right time for me. I don't know if I should wait another week after that, but I need one now, so I have to buy it. WOOT WOOT, EXCITED.. I just hope the Penryns aren't THAT BIG of an update though.



    I would honestly hold off on this you can.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post


    I would honestly hold off on this you can.



    yah, actually some of you guys are right, I'm just gonna hold it off for a bit more now. I'll give it till mid-late February. Thanks guys
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    Maybe there is a way, but I don't have time to figure it out cause I already tried. And not only that, but we will be working with 300DPI projects and my PC is only a Core Duo so it only makes sense to go Core 2 Duo.



    I used to work on "300dpi projects" with an 040. 33MHz. 32MB RAM. Wicked. By the time the 500Mhz chips came out (many years later), these pretty much trivialized "300dpi projects." I have a 1 GHz powerbook that has worked on -- literally -- hundreds of 300dpi projects. I'll sell it you cheap.



    In other words, you can most definitely afford to wait.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    I used to work on "300dpi projects" with an 040. 33MHz. 32MB RAM. Wicked. By the time the 500Mhz chips came out (many years later), these pretty much trivialized "300dpi projects." I have a 1 GHz powerbook that has worked on -- literally -- hundreds of 300dpi projects. I'll sell it you cheap. In other words, you can most definitely afford to wait.



    Heh. I like the humour, but at the end of the day 300dpi 24bit colour CS3 for A3 posters is different nowadays. Core 2 Duo, 4GB, MacBookPro recommended for any CS3 work, even web resolution. IMO
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    hey, well for one, the mac fonts don't seem to work on PC. Like they would have some .dfont extension and other fonts, then I try to install it on PC and it doesn't work. Also my school has some .MAC server where I can upload/download files to that server. Only Macs can access it but PC's can't.

    Maybe there is a way, but I don't have time to figure it out cause I already tried. And not only that, but we will be working with 300DPI projects and my PC is only a Core Duo so it only makes sense to go Core 2 Duo.



    I also buying the MAC because rumors say it could be as late as March 17th or as early as the end of February. My projects start now, I really wish I could have waited. I'm just extemely excited to get one next Tues/Wed.

    Here is a link to the March 17th rumor http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=423406



    thanks guys!



    Either you wait until middle of March, or get it now. Waiting to mid-Feb is a bit pointless IMO because Feb is all about MacBook Air. I think it is 10% chance MacBookPro announced Feb, 80% chance announced in March, 100% update by end of April.



    Whatever you choose, good luck, enjoy your Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post


    Well, I can only speak for myself, but many of my current school projects would be practically impssibal on a PC.



    Heh. Right now I can't even *think* properly if I am using a PC. Games, fine.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Heh. I like the humour, but at the end of the day 300dpi 24bit colour CS3 for A3 posters is different nowadays. Core 2 Duo, 4GB, MacBookPro recommended for any CS3 work, even web resolution. IMO



    CS3 runs pretty well on the iMac G5 I have. InDesign is sluggish, but that's because it was coded by idiots. Quark runs like it just snorted a huge line. Photoshop runs well, and Illustrator runs well until you start to throw a lot of transparencies, layers, and objects at it. Certainly, it's passable for a few months while you're waiting for a 45nm CPU.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    GREAT now I dont know if I should cancel my order on my MacBook Pro. Stupid Rumors! Anyways I just ordered a 17" MBP 2.6ghz, High Res Glossy screen. I also bought 4GB RAM from Crucial.com SAVED 600 DOLLARS!!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post


    Sup guys, I will be buying my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro next Tuesday if they don't come out with an updated one. My next school projects will definitely require a Mac, so this is the right time for me. I don't know if I should wait another week after that, but I need one now, so I have to buy it. WOOT WOOT, EXCITED.. I just hope the Penryns aren't THAT BIG of an update though.



    I would hold off. I heard there will be a powerbook G5 next tuesday!
Sign In or Register to comment.