Default Mail App - Yahoo?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there anyway to make Yahoo my default mail app, using Leopard 10.5.1? I can't seem to find anything on Yahoo's site.



Along those same lines, it's very annoying when I accidentally click a link, then Mail.app opens. However, I don't use Mail. Can I just delete the app? If so, what would happen if I did accidentally click an emailto link (assuming that Yahoo can't yet be a default mail app)?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    I think you need to get a "pro" Yahoo account to do that ($10 yearly). That's what's great about gmail, you can do the same POP/IMAP thing - but for free. I'm sure you can turn off mail as default somewhere in Mail Prefs - I'll look into that.



    Actually... this might make your day Mike: Yahoo! answers



    Do you have Leopard installed Mike? I think if you have Leopard you may very well be able to simply type your password and username into Mail.app and click Quick setup and done!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Yahoo Mail is not an application. To the user, it is a website. There is probably a way to do what you want:



    Compile an AppleScript which launches your browser and opens the URL for Yahoo Mail. Choose the compiled AppleScript as your default email client.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Yahoo Mail is not an application. To the user, it is a website. There is probably a way to do what you want:



    Compile an AppleScript which launches your browser and opens the URL for Yahoo Mail. Choose the compiled AppleScript as your default email client.



    That's a good idea. I'll look into that.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I think you need to get a "pro" Yahoo account to do that ($10 yearly). That's what's great about gmail, you can do the same POP/IMAP thing - but for free. I'm sure you can turn off mail as default somewhere in Mail Prefs - I'll look into that.



    Actually... this might make your day Mike: Yahoo! answers



    Do you have Leopard installed Mike? I think if you have Leopard you may very well be able to simply type your password and username into Mail.app and click Quick setup and done!



    I do have the "pro" version, and it doesn't work.

    I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that Gmail works. I've been thinking of switching to that anyway, because I get ZERO spam in that account, but I get plenty in my Yahoo account.



    You are correct about Leopard & Yahoo, however, Mail is putting a bunch of junk in my inbox rather than in my junk box. Most of this junk is in my spam folder in Yahoo mail's web site, but a lot of it is going to my inbox in Mail. I'll mess with it some more.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    You are missing the main point: any email that you get at through a web page is not a real application, and thus cannot register to handle "mailto:" links. Some people have written hacks that take those links, then re-direct them to the browser, but there is nothing that a website (Google or others) can do to change this without you installing other software.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post


    You are missing the main point: any email that you get at through a web page is not a real application, and thus cannot register to handle "mailto:" links. Some people have written hacks that take those links, then re-direct them to the browser, but there is nothing that a website (Google or others) can do to change this without you installing other software.



    Yep. I understand that. However, in the past, or with "that other operating system", Yahoo has the ability to be the default mail app. It's just not available yet.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Another upside to using gmail vs. Yahoo is that Yahoo doesn't offer IMAP, even to those who are paying $10 a year for the Yahoo Plus or $20 for the upgraded mailbox and POP forwarding. It is inconceivable to me that in this day and age some companies are still charging for POP mail forwarding. I know more than a few people who left Yahoo when they started charging for POP mail forwarding a few years back.



    Doesn't answer your initial question, just more food for thought.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

    I do have the "pro" version, and it doesn't work.



    I have been using Yahoo! Mail Plus for 4 years now on my Macintosh without any problems. Check your settings. The current incarnation of Yahoo!'s services use SSL.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    I have been using Yahoo! Mail Plus for 4 years now on my Macintosh without any problems. Check your settings. The current incarnation of Yahoo!'s services use SSL.



    So, when you click on a mailto link it opens Yahoo Mail? I was understanding that that didn't work.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post


    So, when you click on a mailto link it opens Yahoo Mail? I was understanding that that didn't work.



    Yahoo! Mail Plus is not an application. It is a fee-based service from Yahoo! Mail. It allows you to use any POP3 email client, including Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, or whatever, to handle your messages. In talksense101's case, it was not Yahoo! Mail Plus that was responding to his mailto:'s, it was Mail.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    In Firefox, it's simply a matter of specifying, in the Applications tab of the Preferences menu, that Yahoo! mail is to handle all "mailto:" links. (Previously, I had specified that Gmail was to handle "mailto:" links, so it works that way, too.) I DO NOT have Yahoo! premium, so that's NOT the issue. I do NOT have an Applescript, so that's NOT the issue. Is there another method, for Safari, through which I may specify that "mailto:" links are to be handled via an online service rather than via the Mail app?
Sign In or Register to comment.