Frozen On Aplle Logo Screen

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i tried to up date the os on my power mac g5 dual processor,

on restart it freezes on the apple logo screen and the fans go crazy.

what can i do? i have osx tiger on disc.

how do i re-instal? can i keep the data on the hard drive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well something went wrong with the update. It may be better to reinstall using the recovery disk that came with your mac or a Tiger disk if you have it. Start your computer up while holding the option key down. This will take you to a screen with some buttons on the bottom and your hard drive in the middle. Pop in your CD and hit the refresh button on your screen. It takes a bit but your CD should show up. Click it and boot.

When the installer comes up, make sure you choose Archive and Install. That will keep your apps and files safe. When you boot up after the install, there will be a folder on your hard drive called Previous System Folder. You'll need to move y our old Applications back into the newly created apps folder. Then reinstall the update to Tiger.

Edit: If you have any Adobe applications, you may have to reinstall those again. This goes for other huge applications as well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Some of the latest updates actually install stuff during the first time you reboot after "installing" the update. So the first time you reboot after updating, it can take a long time. Some updates even cause the machine to reboot during the first boot sequence after install.

In other words, the update sequence can look like this:

You "install" an update and hit restart --> Computer restarts --> computer boots to the spinning "wait" indicator, sits there for a while --> computer reboots --> computer boots fully, probably more slowly than usual.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have had a similar issue but it seems to happen only if I keep my 60GB iPod plugged in when I reboot and even then its not all the time. It will hang a the apple and the fans start getting louder which means the CPU is stuck at 100% and heating up. One day I noticed that the do not disconnect screen was stuck on the iPod and decided to just take it out of the cradle. Once I did that, the machine booted fine.

My suggestion would be to check any external devices and start disconnecting them one by one and see if the problem goes away. I would start with anything that could be considered a drive.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

I have had a similar issue but it seems to happen only if I keep my 60GB iPod plugged in when I reboot and even then its not all the time. It will hang a the apple and the fans start getting louder which means the CPU is stuck at 100% and heating up. One day I noticed that the do not disconnect screen was stuck on the iPod and decided to just take it out of the cradle. Once I did that, the machine booted fine.

My suggestion would be to check any external devices and start disconnecting them one by one and see if the problem goes away. I would start with anything that could be considered a drive.

Wow, for a second there, i though that I wrote this. I've have this problem, but only when my 60GB iPod is connected. Great minds appear to think alike.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

Wow, for a second there, i though that I wrote this. I've have this problem, but only when my 60GB iPod is connected. Great minds appear to think alike.

Heh, I guess its time for a new iPod then.... anyone want to buy a slightly used 60gb...