Your thoughts on Launchbar.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A friend recently recommended my picking up Launchbar, but from looking at the developer's site I really can't tell what makes it better or different from Spotlight running on Leopard? Anyone use it and want to offer an opinion? Is it really better than Leopard's Spotlight and if so, how? Also, are you using the free demo model or a licensed version? The site doesn't really differentiate what would be different between them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achiever View Post

A friend recently recommended my picking up Launchbar, but from looking at the developer's site I really can't tell what makes it better or different from Spotlight running on Leopard? Anyone use it and want to offer an opinion? Is it really better than Leopard's Spotlight and if so, how? Also, are you using the free demo model or a licensed version? The site doesn't really differentiate what would be different between them.

There are a few different apps in the same league on this front. While I haven't personally used Launchbar in quite a long time, judging from the version update notices I'll stick with Quicksilver.

Like Spotlight and Launchbar, it can be used as an application launcher, but it's oh so much more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_(software)

It used to be that people would choose Launchbar or QS over Spotlight as an app launcher because Spotlight was slow. This isn't so much of an issue anymore, but They're still used very heavily for their countless other practical uses.

There are a million different uses for it. To paraphrase a certain famous movie character; "No one can be told what The Quicksilver is. You must experience it for yourself."

Take the red pill.