External RAID1 HD Shared Server/Backup

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I couldn't find much that specifically helped on this forum, but let me know if there is a post that you think would help. (I've also posted this on some other forums)

I'm recently married and my wife and I just moved to Japan to work. We transferred all our CDs and quite a few movies to an external hard drive I had.

We are now starting to transfer our photos and other important documents to this shared drive, and I'm getting a little paranoid about drive failure. I had a series of bad luck about 10 years ago and lost 3 Western Digital hard drives in 3 years. I know that is far from common, but still... paranoid!

I don't mind building my own, and I don't need a ton of storage (over 200GB after RAID1 would be nice, so I can have more data than I do now).

I really want something that is:

-Quiet

-Reliable

-Fast enough to play our media of (movies and music)

-Has RAID monitoring software available for OSX

It would be nice if it was (these are not necessary):

-250GB - 500GB

-Not fugly (it will be in the living room, but can be hidden if need be)

-Available in Japan with English software available in box or as a download(I can read some Japanese, but technical docs are over my head). I can have it shipped by my family, but that bumps up the price a bit. This one might not be possible.

I keep hearing about external RAID drives being really hot and loud. I'm a bit worried that it will sound like I have a small aircraft trying to take off from my living room.

Yeah... that ended up being long. Sorry.

Let me know if you have any info, or need any more from me. Thanks!