Relaying A Wireless Network Through An Airport Extreme...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay so I've been trying off and on for years to get this to work, but for some reason I've never been so lucky.

I have 3 Macs and one Windows XP PC in the house. One 6 year old iBook G3 running Panther, one 4 year old Powerbook G4 running Tiger, and a year old Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo running Leopard.

Unfortunately I live in an area where broadband isn't an option and I'm forced to use dial-up. So the typical router-to computers method doesn't work as the b/g Airport Extreme Base Station that came free with the Powerbook G4 all those years ago doesn't have a modem.

So what I've been doing is using the Powerbook G4, which in all honesty is nearing death, to be tethered to the wall and share it's dial-up connection for the rest of the computers via it's internal airport card. However this just doesn't reach every room in the house.

I've tried on many occasions to use the Airport Extreme Base Station as a relay to connect to the Powerbook G4 and extend it's signal. The base station sees the network, gets the IP addresses all sorted out, it finds the MAC address, but it doesn't seem to want to accept the Powerbook's WDS. Or rather, it can't see that the Powerbook even has one.

This has been bothering me for a long time and would really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.