Newb needs help with quick question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it possible to load songs on your ipod from itunes and delete them from your mac without them being deleted from the ipod whenever you plug it back in to sync and charge the ipod? I can't figure this out, but I would like to have more songs on my ipod but I want to free up space on my hard drive.

If it's not possible, what's my best alternative?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbirds1 View Post

Is it possible to load songs on your ipod from itunes and delete them from your mac without them being deleted from the ipod whenever you plug it back in to sync and charge the ipod? I can't figure this out, but I would like to have more songs on my ipod but I want to free up space on my hard drive.

If it's not possible, what's my best alternative?

Yes you can do this, even if you sync automatically.

What you need to do is after transferring songs to your iPod, delete them from your hard drive through the Finder but DON'T delete them in your iTunes Library.

Then when listed in iTunes, the tracks in question will show with an exclamation point, meaning the file can't be found, but the files will still not be deleted from your iPod when you sync.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks. I'll give it a try with a couple of songs and see if it works.

Question though, what if I want the song back on the hard drive for some reason. For instance, what if I wanted to make a cd? Could I put it back on from the ipod to the hard drive once it has been taken off?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Thanks. I'll give it a try with a couple of songs and see if it works.

Question though, what if I want the song back on the hard drive for some reason. For instance, what if I wanted to make a cd? Could I put it back on from the ipod to the hard drive once it has been taken off?

That's much more difficult. I suggest you use a third-party software that lists the contents of your iPod to copy back in order to do this. I've used Senuti before, and it's not the greatest, but it works.

What worked better for me was to simply upgrade my MacBook hard drive to a 250GB Western Digital Passport.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

That's much more difficult. I suggest you use a third-party software that lists the contents of your iPod to copy back in order to do this. I've used Senuti before, and it's not the greatest, but it works.

What worked better for me was to simply upgrade my MacBook hard drive to a 250GB Western Digital Passport.

How much did that set you back?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Our products actually work!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

How much did that set you back?

My WD passport was just over US$150.