Leopard+Airport+P2P/FTP app = KERNEL PANIC!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since I upgraded to Leopard, I've been getting kernel panics. Recently it's been happening very often, so I decided that maybe that's because I upgraded directly from Tiger, so I did a clean install. Kernel Panics ensue.

After some troubleshooting and research, I realized that it is because of some faulty airport drivers in OSX. I realized that every time I got a KP I was using an airport connection and either downloading a torrent through azureus or uploading through an ftp app like transmit. using any of these services is kernel panic free if I am connected though an ethernet cable.

So obviously this is some glaring issue with Airport in Leopard. I really hope Apple fix this in the upcoming update, because this is just unacceptable. Macs are supposed be foolproof in that department, and the fact that my MBP has KPed like 15 times in the last week drives me insanely furious.

Get your act together apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Maybe you have faulty hardware?

Maybe it is karma?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    paprochy, maybe the MBP itself is faulty. Can you take it to an Apple Store and ask them to take a look?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Re the karma comment, I know what you are getting at, and I expected it. But torrents are also used for legal file sharing and downloading so don't even start.

Never mind that though, as far as the possibility of it being faulty hardware, I'm about 99.9% sure it's not.

check out this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5716769

It's not possible that all of these people have faulty hardware. I just really hope that this is addressed in the next update. 10.5.2 FTW!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

Re the karma comment, I know what you are getting at, and I expected it. But torrents are also used for legal file sharing and downloading so don't even start.

I know. That's why I said maybe. But I thought all the "legitimate" P2P stuff used Windows-only DRM mechanisms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

check out this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5716769

It's not possible that all of these people have faulty hardware. I just really hope that this is addressed in the next update. 10.5.2 FTW!

It's not possible? How many MacBook Pros are there running 10.5? It's been shipping on new MacBook Pros for more than a calendar quarter, plus there's the older machines that have been upgraded with retail copies of 10.5. So I'm going to go with a conservitive estimate of 1,000,000 MacBook Pros.

There are 185 replies in that thread. Even if all of them are from unique users all reporting KPs, that's 0.0185% of MacBook Pros running 10.5. I don't see how it's impossible they've all got a hardware issue.

But don't get me wrong. It could of course also be a problem with the driver. But there's nothing you can do about that except wait for a better one. If it's a hardware problem, there is something you can do about that.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Azureus has been having loads of trouble in Mac OS for quite a few users as of late. I'm not sure how much of that has been resolved in the past month, but that might be part of your problem. If your system was running properly after the restore and continued to do so until you started mucking around with the P2P software, you're probably pointing your finger in the wrong direction.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Azureus doesn't install kernel extensions so there is no excuse (on Apple's part) for it causing a kernel panic. Poorly coded user-land programs should not be able to cause those sorts of problems with the core of the OS - the kernel should handle the problem gracefully, not freak out. If this is not a hardware fault, the problem is all OS X's.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    exactly, and besides, it's not only an issue with Azureus. It's happened with transmit as well.