Macbook Air...upgrades!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Guys, I just wanted to share my plans with my purchase of buying an MBA.

First, I want to say that I plan on keeping it for a few years. So, with the predicted astronomical increase of SSD memory for cheaper prices (rumors of 500GB + drives are floating around), I plan to wait until it get cheap enough, and then swap out m HDD for a SSD. I plan on waiting till they hit at least, 250-300GB. Second, if the Ram isn't soldered into the board, I will upgrade the Ram when I upgrade the HDD. This should certainly give my MBA alot of extra life in it!

For now, the 80GB HDD will be more than enough for me. Remote disc makes sense because I probably only used my Disc Drive on my dell twice in 2 years. Its everything I need, honestly, in a sleek small package perfect for on the go, at work, school, or at home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I believe the RAM is soldered to the motherboard.

My recommendation is if you don't absolutely need the MBA, wait until SSD prices go down. For most people, 2 GB is enough. If you require more, then wait for the second generation MBA.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Too. I already purchased an MBA and its been shipped! I was just divulging my intention in the future. I will swap the HDD for an SDD when prices are cheap, also, I agree that 2GB Ram is enough, I was just hoping to boost it a bit in the future...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Second, if the Ram isn't soldered into the board, I will upgrade the Ram when I upgrade the HD

The ram is soldered, I wonder if its possible to unsolder the ram and place a bigger capacity? (risky, risky )
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

The ram is soldered, I wonder if its possible to unsolder the ram and place a bigger capacity? (risky, risky )

Not if u hire a pro-shop to do it
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

Too. I already purchased an MBA and its been shipped! I was just divulging my intention in the future. I will swap the HDD for an SDD when prices are cheap, also, I agree that 2GB Ram is enough, I was just hoping to boost it a bit in the future...

You are quite an optimist to think that it will be that easy to swap your HHD and your SDD.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I think by the time SSD is affordable, you probably won't have your current MBA anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I think by the time SSD is affordable, you probably won't have your current MBA anyway.

Haha, true. Unless you can convince 70% of the whole world PC users to change to SSD drives
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

You are quite an optimist to think that it will be that easy to swap your HHD and your SDD.

The hard drive looks to be extremely easy to remove and replace. Of course, the current 80GB drive is the highest-capacity 1.8" HDD that will fit, although single-platter 120GB 1.8" drives are apparently coming later this year.

SSD prices will fall. How quickly and how far, I don't care to speculate on, but there is a definite upgrade path for the Air's drive if you plan on using the machine for several years.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I read somewhere (forgot where though), that SSD prices are supposed to fall rapidly as soon as the market begins to accept it more. If you look at the recent upgrades in capacity for iPhone & iPod Touch, this is evident already, as the memory has increased 2-fold in the recent 16GB iPhone and 32GB iPod Touch.

It seems pretty easy to remove the HDD in the MBA, and i'm pretty confident that we'll see 120GB+ SSD drives relatively cheap by 2009.