Which Mac for me?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a long time PC user and want to make the switch over to Apple soon. I've used Mac Pros before, and still do, but don't own one. I'm still stuck on a crappy hp with an hour and a half battery life. So, I pose the question to all you Apple veterans: what do you think will best suit me in the Apple world? Here's a bit of info on what I do on the computer...
  • Adobe Illustrator

• Adobe Photoshop

• Aperture (once I get a Mac)

• The Basics (web browsing, word processing)

...and with it...
  • Bring to class every day

• Simple tasks as a laptop

• Complex tasks with an external screen

...and lastly, my preferences...
  • 13-15" monitor

• External monitor capability (necesarry)

• Laptop

Thanks ahead of time for the help, everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Macbook Pro, 15"

Configured to suit your fancy.

Portability lands you with a laptop. Aperture (and any heavy work in the likes of Photoshop or Illustrator) means you will be much better off with a proper video card (especially if time = money) and that is not something the Macbook offers. Macbook can handle what you are doing, but not anywhere near as well as a 15" MBP.

Get a nice 7200 RPM hard drive aftermarket with your RAM for bonus happiness and saved dollars.

Edit: I would advise against the entry-level MBP. If you're going to spend that kind of money, spend a little more for the nicer video capabilities. You can upgrade your hard drive and RAM to make your MBP nicer in times to come, but you won't be able to upgrade your video card, and that is probably the most likely thing to force an upgrade for you down the road.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Look closely at the MBP. It will do everything you say that you need to do.

But WAIT until its upgraded. Its going to happen anytime now.

When the new upgraded models come out decide which one is best for you.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks guys! Is there much of a performance difference between the 2.2 and the 2.4 models?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel G. View Post

Thanks guys! Is there much of a performance difference between the 2.2 and the 2.4 models?

For you, yeah, there would be a pretty decent difference.

It is due in large part to the better video card.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel G. View Post

The processor speed wouldn't be too noticeable, less than 10% faster, but the extra 128MB of SDRAM will pack a very noticeable punch.

Like others have said though, now is not the time to buy a MacBook Pro. I mean, unless you need to have it now, then of course now is the time.

Just keep in mind that the last full release was around June of last year, with an added 2.6GHz option landing early last fall. So it's just about time for some sort of revision.