memory upgrade iMac (1st generation)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Subject: Re: Ram Upgrade

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REQUEST INFO REGARDING RAM UPGRADE

I was told I need 2 different 512 module, one that had to be installed by a tech in order to upgrade to 1 gig

1-SDRAM PC133 168-pin DIMM

1-SDRAM PC133 144-pin SODIMM

I have a iMac 700Mhz PowerPC G4 (flat Panel) with 512 MB SDRAM

I would like to upgrade to 1 gig which is the max.

I know I need 2 different PC133 chips - DIMM & SODIMM but which ones? #

could someone tell what the Apple mfr's pn. It should start w/ an 'M'.

Thank you

Jim - Montreal, Canada

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    i believe the first generation iMac could only handle a maximum of 256MB of RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

i believe the first generation iMac could only handle a maximum of 256MB of RAM.

I presently have 512... and can go to a max of 1 gig - 2 x 512, hence replacing my 2 x 256mb.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sorry, my mistake it's not first generation.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yours could be considered a first gen G4 iMac... and yes, the lower RAM module is MUCH harder to get to

You can probably do it yourself, it just requires a lot more disassembly, so APPLE didn't consider it user replaceable.

As for the real FIRST gen iMacs (G3@233) they were advertised as 256MB max, but I had one running with 512MB ... so the advertised limit was apparently based on what RAM Apple was selling rather than what the machine could actually handle.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yeah thanks, the problem is I'm getting misinformation from memory retailers who don't have a clue as to what I'm taking about?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Yours could be considered a first gen G4 iMac... and yes, the lower RAM module is MUCH harder to get to

You can probably do it yourself, it just requires a lot more disassembly, so APPLE didn't consider it user replaceable.

As for the real FIRST gen iMacs (G3@233) they were advertised as 256MB max, but I had one running with 512MB ... so the advertised limit was apparently based on what RAM Apple was selling rather than what the machine could actually handle.

• Reply 6 of 6
    http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/...lat_Panel.html

See if that page helps. The parts you listed in your original post are correct.

The SO DIMM slot is the easy one, the "normal" DIMM slot is the one requiring much disassembly. (But it can certainly be done.)