Mail constant crashing for no reason

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a problem with Mail. it crashed everytime i open the application, and i keep on reporting it to apple, and sometimes ignoring that, and nothing changes.

it happened to me before when i try to open a certain email from my friend. now when i open Mail, it automatically opens the first email on the list, and it's another email which has the same problem.

i don't know how to solve this problem.

My laptop is a Macbook pro 2.16ghz core2duo processor, 2gb ram, 160gb harddisk (80 gb free space), Running Leopard 10.5.1.

can anyone help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You might have some trouble getting help for this, since Mail is generally a very reliable program, and it's not likely that anyone else has had the same problem. Have you tried the Apple support forum(s)?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I am unclear on what your actual problem is.

Is Mail opening at all, or does the Mail dock icon bounce a couple of time and then stops when Mail doesn't open?

Is Mail opening but crashes while downloading new messages from the server?

Do you have web access to your mail account? If you do, and if the problem is a particular message, you might be able to delete that suspect message and be able to open mail.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    i deleted the message that caused the problem, but it still there in "Mail". so the problem isn't solved.

the problem is with one particular message. i don't know what how to explain it
  • Reply 4 of 4
    i assume you are running Leopard?

I am and I had he same problem. I would open Mail and it would crasha split second later.

time and time again.

The only way I could resolve it was to go to my HOME FOLDER > LIBRARY> MAIL and move all the contents to a backup folder. then I had to setup Mail all over again.

To start, you may want to try relocating all files except the folders that read "MAILBOXES" and "POP..." or "IMAP..." Be sure mail is closed when you do this. Then start it back up. that should help.

Be sure you relocate all the files in a backup folder just in case.

i think I know the frustration you are feeling. That was the biggest pain and there is no help for it with Apple.