Any Word of Airport Express N upgrade?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone hear of an Airport Express N band firmware upgrade? I just got one and I know that there are two upgrades (Airport Extreme and the Airport cards in laptops) just wonderin' if anyone got wind of such an upgrade.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The Express hardware isn't capable of 802.11n so you're not going to get it via a firmware upgrade.

I'm not sure it'd physically fit either. 802.11n relies on multiple aerials and I can't see Apple making it bigger or sticking ugly MIMO aerials on top like Linksys or D-Link do.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The Express hardware isn't capable of 802.11n so you're not going to get it via a firmware upgrade.

I'm not sure it'd physically fit either. 802.11n relies on multiple aerials and I can't see Apple making it bigger or sticking ugly MIMO aerials on top like Linksys or D-Link do.

Damn, maybe I'll return it and get an extreme. The extra money may be worth while. Is there any way to get it working to make an AirDisk?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It only does music (right?), why do you need "n" ?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's correct. The AirPort Express can easily handle lossless audio, so there's no need for "n".
  • Reply 5 of 7
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

That's correct. The AirPort Express can easily handle lossless audio, so there's no need for "n".

Correct me if I am wrong, but wont having an AirPort Express (a "g" device) on an Extreme network ("n") slow the whole network down to "g" speeds? Or is that only true for "b" devices on a "g" network?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weinsta View Post

Damn, maybe I'll return it and get an extreme. The extra money may be worth while. Is there any way to get it working to make an AirDisk?

Not currently. It does have a USB port but I'd doubt the hardware is up to supporting USB disks and AFP, plus it'd be at 802.11g speeds only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No it doesn't only do music. The Airport Express is a full wireless router, range extender, wireless access point as well as handling music and acting as a print server. Handy bit of kit. Why Apple have subsequently left off Airtunes support from their other routers puzzles me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but wont having an AirPort Express (a "g" device) on an Extreme network ("n") slow the whole network down to "g" speeds? Or is that only true for "b" devices on a "g" network?

No, but IIRC if you've "g" equipment in an "n" compatible network you can't use the wider 40Mhz 5Ghz "n" bands so the network max is about 80Mbit instead of 120Mbit. Still about twice as fast as "g" though in practice. In the UK you can't use the 40Mhz range at all as it's restricted.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

You sir, are correct. Dopey me!