Problem Networking Two Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a MacMini Dual Core 1.83 gHz and a 17" PB G4 that I am trying to connect wirelessly via Airport. Both have Leopard 10.5.1 installed. When I go to the "Connect to Server" on both machines, I do not get a password dialog box and the connection just tries to establish itself but it always fails probably because I am unable to enter a user name and password. Some of the responses I get are:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "afp://192.168.1.3 could not be read. (Error Code -36)."

Or

"Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct"

In each case, both the names and the passwords are correct.

I have looked at my Airport settings and they seem to be correct and cannot understand why the connections fail. I never had this problem in Tiger so what gives? Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    From the terminal:

ping 192.168.1.3

This will at least tell you if the networking is ok.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

From the terminal:

ping 192.168.1.3

This will at least tell you if the networking is ok.

Thank you for your reply, dfiler. I have pinged the IP address and the following is the response:

Last login: Tue Feb 5 15:20:55 on console

roger-adamss-mac-mini:~ rogeradams$ ping 192.168.1.2

PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2): 56 data bytes

92 bytes from 10.0.1.1: Destination Host Unreachable

Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst

4 5 00 5400 cffc 0 0000 40 01 ddff 10.0.1.3 192.168.1.2

p92 bytes from 10.0.1.1: Destination Host Unreachable

4 5 00 5400 adda 0 0000 40 01 0022 10.0.1.3 192.168.1.2

ing92 bytes from 10.0.1.1: Destination Host Unreachable

4 5 00 5400 a7c5 0 0000 40 01 0637 10.0.1.3 192.168.1.2

4 5 00 5400 e2ac 0 0000 40 01 cb4f 10.0.1.3 192.168.1.2

4 5 00 5400 cbd6 0 0000 40 01 e225 10.0.1.3 192.168.1.2

Obviously it is not working and I am now at a loss at how to solve the problem. My internet is working perfectly but the local network is not, despite resetting everything, including entering the mac addresses for all the items on my network. Does the above provide any clues as to what the problem is and have you any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The problem is that you have each machine on two different subnets...

You need to make sure that all machines on the same physical network behind your router have the same IP scheme.

From your pings it shows that your one machine is 10.0.1.3 and the other is 192.168.1.2. They both need to be 10.0.1.x OR 192.168.1.x not one of each.

On top of that they both need to be in the same subnet as the internal IP of your router.

The best thing would be to set both machines to auto get an IP via DHCP and let the router just hand out the info.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yep, what shaggy said.

The machines need to be on the same subnet. Basically, both should use addresses like 192.168.1.# or 10.0.#.#. Not a mixture of the two.

This is completely fixable from the network preferences in OS X. No changes are needed to file sharing, the router, or anything else. Test using the ping command. Once that starts working, no more changes will be needed in the network preferences. If it still doesn't work, only then start messing with other settings.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

The problem is that you have each machine on two different subnets...

You need to make sure that all machines on the same physical network behind your router have the same IP scheme.

From your pings it shows that your one machine is 10.0.1.3 and the other is 192.168.1.2. They both need to be 10.0.1.x OR 192.168.1.x not one of each.

On top of that they both need to be in the same subnet as the internal IP of your router.

The best thing would be to set both machines to auto get an IP via DHCP and let the router just hand out the info.

rogeras' network configuration may have both the AirPort and router doing NAT. Thus each machine would be on different subnets.

rogera,

I am guessing that you have a router connected to your IPS with both your MacMini and AirPort basestation connected to that router. I am also guessing that you have not made any changes in the settings for either the router or the basestation. If I am correct, then both your router and your basestation are doing NAT (Network Address Translation) and giving out individual IP addresses. In which case you need to use AirPort Utilities and change the AirPort basestation from a DHCP server into a network bridge. (i.e. Turn off DHCP in the basestation.) That will put both machines on the same subnet.

(10.0.0.X is typically Apples AirPorts default subnet for DHCP, and 192.168.1.X is typically the subnet for of the self routers.)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

rogeras' network configuration may have both the AirPort and router doing NAT. Thus each machine would be on different subnets.

rogera,

I am guessing that you have a router connected to your IPS with both your MacMini and AirPort basestation connected to that router. I am also guessing that you have not made any changes in the settings for either the router or the basestation. If I am correct, then both your router and your basestation are doing NAT (Network Address Translation) and giving out individual IP addresses. In which case you need to use AirPort Utilities and change the AirPort basestation from a DHCP server into a network bridge. (i.e. Turn off DHCP in the basestation.) That will put both machines on the same subnet.

(10.0.0.X is typically Apples AirPorts default subnet for DHCP, and 192.168.1.X is typically the subnet for of the self routers.)

Thank you both very much for your input. Your help is most appreciated. As suggested I have now reset the airport base station and the MacMini to show the router as 192.168.1.1 and the IP address as 192.168.1.3. The airport base station has accepted these changes on the MacMini with the base station summary showing as normal with the light coloured green. However, the PB will not accept these changes. The PB's IP address has been set to 192.168.1.2. and the router to the same 192.168.1.1. The Airport summary on the PB is showing DHCP as "Conflicting DHCP Range" and the light is orange in colour. The PB will not accept the same router address of 192.168.1.1 which is possibly the reason for the conflict. Both computers have been set to "Bridge Mode" as suggested. Any further ideas?

Just for information, the airport base station is the space ship design supporting a/b/g wireless networking while the router is a D-Link G604T. I need the router to create the actual internet connection as the base station apparently is unable to provide the internet access directly.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Ah, more than one router... that's an important detail I missed.

The dhcp server should only be enabled on one of the routers. That router will handle assigning addresses in your home and will handle routing between those addresses and the internet.

The other router should be reconfigured to operate only as a bridge, passing traffic in both directions without doing any address translation.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ok looking at the specs of the Dlink it is a DSL modem that is also a router... I am curious why you are using an airport along with that as well since the Dlink already provides you with the connectivity you need.

If you do insist on using both the Dlink and the airport you are going to have to set the airport to bridge mode on the WAN connection to the Dlink, then set your airport LAN (internal side) to DHCP and have all the macs behind it set to get an IP automatically.

You cant have connections to the Dlink and the airport on the same subnet because they are two routers and each will require its own numbering scheme, you will have to do as I suggest above if you want to use them both, but again I ask, what is the purpose in having both pieces of equipment?

It should look like this.....

Dlink >>>airport wan in bridge mode>>>computers via dhcp either wireless or wired
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Ok looking at the specs of the Dlink it is a DSL modem that is also a router... I am curious why you are using an airport along with that as well since the Dlink already provides you with the connectivity you need.

If you do insist on using both the Dlink and the airport you are going to have to set the airport to bridge mode on the WAN connection to the Dlink, then set your airport LAN (internal side) to DHCP and have all the macs behind it set to get an IP automatically.

You cant have connections to the Dlink and the airport on the same subnet because they are two routers and each will require its own numbering scheme, you will have to do as I suggest above if you want to use them both, but again I ask, what is the purpose in having both pieces of equipment?

It should look like this.....

Dlink >>>airport wan in bridge mode>>>computers via dhcp either wireless or wired

Again, my sincere thanks to all for your help. I have reset both the router and the base station to default settings and started from scratch. After creating the various mac addresses in the base station, I can now connect the MacMini to the PB without a problem but the connection from the PB to the MacMini fails. I suspect this is because the MacMini does not have an IP address in the base station as it fails to create it automatically. When I try to create the IP address manually in the base station, I get a dialog box that states that there is a conflict in the router address (192.168.1.1) and when I revert to the previous settings, the base station accepts the settings without the IP address and everything is shown as normal. While half a loaf is better than nothing, any further ideas on how to solve the problem?