iMac for Mom

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I think that I just talked my mother into switching to Mac. She's used nothing but Windows forever. I'm recommending a $1,500 Alumimac.

Good thing or bad thing? \

-Switchy Mcswitcher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    I would say good thing. I just recently converted to mac after 15 years on windows and I am happy I did.

there will be a learning curve, just make she prepare for that!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yvon View Post

I would say good thing. I just recently converted to mac after 15 years on windows and I am happy I did.

there will be a learning curve, just make she prepare for that!

A very small learning curb that will be enjoyable
  • Reply 3 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwitchyMcSwitcher View Post

I think that I just talked my mother into switching to Mac. She's used nothing but Windows forever. I'm recommending a $1,500 Alumimac.

Good thing or bad thing?

Great thing!

Sent from my iMac
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Bad thing.

Don't get a 20" iMac at that price if it's just for basic use.

A 17" second hand white one is enough.

The best option is a Mac Mini with a cheap display.

I got my mum an ancient iMac 350MHz and it does her just fine. A G4 Mini is so cheap that you don't even have to go that far back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Mini-I...QQcmdZViewItem

$450 + $150 screen then use the extra money to buy something else (Leopard and you can use the disc yourself if you haven't got it) or just keep it.

The Intel machine is good because you can put Windows on it if she still wants to use Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Bad thing.

Don't get a 20" iMac at that price if it's just for basic use.

A 17" second hand white one is enough.

The best option is a Mac Mini with a cheap display.

I got my mum an ancient iMac 350MHz and it does her just fine. A G4 Mini is so cheap that you don't even have to go that far back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Mini-I...QQcmdZViewItem

$450 + $150 screen then use the extra money to buy something else (Leopard and you can use the disc yourself if you haven't got it) or just keep it.

The Intel machine is good because you can put Windows on it if she still wants to use Windows.

I can't in good faith tell my very own mother to buy a machine with integrated graphics. What if she wants to play Crysis or run Second Life?

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I can't in good faith tell my very own mother to buy a machine with integrated graphics. What if she wants to play Crysis or run Second Life?

-Switchy McSwitcher

1. Crysis will melt even a metal iMac.

2. Second life is for losers who don't have a first life.

Get her a Mini.

You're right the integrated graphics suck. They handle a few games though like you can play Tomb Raider Legend at close to highest quality. If she's not running Call of Duty 4, FEAR, Prey etc then she'll be fine.

Now of course, if there's grandchildren or children (you? ) who want to play these kind of games then I guess the iMac is a better option but a console is better value still.

You can get an Intel Mini ($450) + display ($150) + XBox 360 ($299) + HDTV ($400) = $1300 for less than the price of an iMac. With the extra $200 you can all go out for a nice meal to celebrate the fact you weren't ripped off by Apple's AIO crap.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Marvin makes some nice points although I would argue that an AIO is ideal for casual computer users as they are easy to set up and don't have all that cable madness.

If your mother is only doing light work on her machine then the current iMacs may be a little bit of overkill. The mini might be a nice option if you already have a monitor that you like.

Otherwise I would look at a refurbished iMac. An 'old' white 20" iMac can be bought for $1099 USD. That's $500 less than what you're looking to spend on a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    the mac mini a $600 is over priced and should have a DVDRW as well as a faster HD.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

the mac mini a $600 is over priced and should have a DVDRW as well as a faster HD.

And I'm sure his mother would notice.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I did want her to get something as modern as possible, since she keeps the same machine for 4-5 years. It's already ordered. Add one to the McSwitcher family.

-Switchy McSwitcher
  • Reply 11 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I did want her to get something as modern as possible, since she keeps the same machine for 4-5 years. It's already ordered. Add one to the McSwitcher family.

-Switchy McSwitcher

She'll be happy.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

-Switchy McSwitcher

Good work. There's no reason to go cheap unless you can't afford normal. It doesn't seem like the price was a real roadblock, here.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    iMom