super duper

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A faculty member at my work place just bought some new software called "SuperDuper" to backup software. He wants to put it on his external firewire hard drive but the software wants him to format the entire hard drive. He would like to know if it is possible to parition a portion of his firewire hard drive to use "SuperDuper" so he doesn't lose the data already on the drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    depending on the partitions that are there now and the system he has, I bet he will have to do it no matter what. Most external drives are formatted in FAT32, with Master Boot Record, or MBR. Macs, even Intels, can't boot from an MBR. Has to be GUID or Apple Partition Map, APM (also called APT). You will have to reformat the whole drive anyway to do the partitions. Either way, that data is going to have to be moved, trust nothing to fate, I have LOST data this way, just trusting the system. Burn DVDs, get another external AND copy to the internal drive, backup server, something....

No matter what, you will have to start fresh on that drive. Super Duper is good software, Apple forces the same thing with Time Machine, so this is nothing unique. Good Luck.